2 Questions: Admission committee/contacting unknown profs

suedonim

1. Is there a protocol to asking about who's on the grad admissions committee? Do departments not like to give this info out? Is it ever listed online? I'd ask the grad assistant, whom I've spoken to/emailed with already. I'm known to people in the two departments (an alumnus) I have in mind for this, and I'm wondering who's on the admission committees. Do they not liking sharing this info as it might subject the members to inquiries from applicants? I might know some people on both admish committees.

2. I want to contact some profs from the 2 former schools who don't know me, but do work--are the main people--in the specific subfields and topics I'm applying to study in.

What's advised as a way to make an introduction via email; what to talk about/ask? I want to make contact, and then hopefully get a simple dialogue going to make them aware I'm out here, what I'm into, and get advice and perhaps someone to review my SOP. I'm envisioning a simple intro email, and I'm hoping tto get them to open the door to further contact, like taking a look at my SOP. I'd briefly mention my research interests and diss. topic, but not get too far into them in a first contact. I’m looking to return to finish my PhD, or start over at a new school, so my diss. topic is fairly well-developed and wouldn't be too far off if I return to my old program.

Suggestions? Experience doing this?

Penelope?

Thanks.

Edited by suedonim

You will rarely if ever be able to find out who is on the grad committee, and should not count on getting a significant conversation with its members. If you think a personal conversation would really make a difference in your case, and it almost never does, you should raise this matter with your letter writers. They should be the ones giving you advice, making the committee aware that you are "out there" (along with the hundreds of other applicants) and reviewing your application materials - that is not what admissions committee members do. In my experience on both ends of the process, you should not expect to get much mileage out of this route. Instead, focus on making your application as strong as possible, and ensure that your recommenders address any unique information about your file in their letters.