Questions about Statement of Purpose

Most schools want two pages at the most. Some schools say 2-3. Some schools want 500 words (about one page single spaced). Check guidelines for specific programs. Part of the challenge--and part of the point--of the SOP is to see if you can be comprehensive and concise, an invaluable skill for potential schools.

Naming profs can be good or bad. Good because if you pick the right ones, and your interests jive nicely with theirs, they might look favorably on your application. Bad because they might not have room for you as a future advisee, they might not work with graduate students, they might be on leave that year, your interests might not match as nicely as you had thought (how much do you really know about them and their work?), etc.

Most schools want two pages at the most. Some schools say 2-3. Some schools want 500 words (about one page single spaced). Check guidelines for specific programs. Part of the challenge--and part of the point--of the SOP is to see if you can be comprehensive and concise, an invaluable skill for potential schools.

Naming profs can be good or bad. Good because if you pick the right ones, and your interests jive nicely with theirs, they might look favorably on your application. Bad because they might not have room for you as a future advisee, they might not work with graduate students, they might be on leave that year, your interests might not match as nicely as you had thought (how much do you really know about them and their work?), etc.

But then how else are you supposed to show you've researched the department thoroughly and are sure it's a good fit? I mean you don't have to say: I want these professors to be my adoptive parents, but at least showing that they do the same type of work you hope to do can't hurt.

But then how else are you supposed to show you've researched the department thoroughly and are sure it's a good fit? I mean you don't have to say: I want these professors to be my adoptive parents, but at least showing that they do the same type of work you hope to do can't hurt.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I mentioned professors in all 10 of my applications. Just be aware that there are/can be downfalls to it. I think it can be really effective, and having since entered my department I'm confident that it's one of the reasons I was accepted, but I wouldn't be surprised if my mention of certain professors kept me out definitively of some other schools.

I believed the exact same thing, but speaking to a few members of the Adcom here at my school, they all advised me not to mention specific names. Fit can be established through interests in the university's resources and in showing an understanding of the department's culture. I know, it sounds impossible and highly risky, but all of them have told me that naming people rarely helps apps here.

Okay, another question.

This may sound completely ridiculous, but bear with me, I have an infant and there is just not enough coffee in the world right now...

We often talk about "Theory" with a capital "T," but dear lord, is it actually capitalized? I have the word about a million times in my SoP and I can't for the life of me figure out if it should be capitalized (Literary Theory vs. literary theory) or not. I'm thinking not, but then I'm like "No! It's Theory with a capital 'T'!"

Help.

Help me.

Okay, another question.

This may sound completely ridiculous, but bear with me, I have an infant and there is just not enough coffee in the world right now...

We often talk about "Theory" with a capital "T," but dear lord, is it actually capitalized? I have the word about a million times in my SoP and I can't for the life of me figure out if it should be capitalized (Literary Theory vs. literary theory) or not. I'm thinking not, but then I'm like "No! It's Theory with a capital 'T'!"

Help.

Help me.

I mention it a lot in my sop, and I leave it not capitalized. I just write "literary theory" just like that. My thesis adviser told me to just call it this, and the adcom will know what I'm talking about and/or what I'm referring to... Hopefully.

Okay, another question.

Help.

Help me.

I know it as not-capitalized (but I also know a lot of rogue theorists who aren't much for the shift-key in general). If you're going to capitalize Literary/Critical Theory, be consistent: Twentieth Century Studies, Cultural Studies, Queer Theory. I went back and forth on it (as I reference a lot of different types of theory in my statement) and I ended up feeling like the capitalization was tedious.

Okay, another question.

Help.

Help me.

Do not capitalize theory. Personally, I don't know why anyone would. I see no logic in it. Bizarre capitalization like this seems to pop up from time to time in the humanities though. Check out, for example, this flier for an upcoming CUNY conference:

http://web.gc.cuny.e.../homo_info.html

See especially the last paragraph. Why are words like "scholars," "activists," and "complicity" capitalized? It's fucking erratic.

(Nota bene: this is not meant to be an attack on the CUNY conference itself. It sounds interesting, and I plan on attending. Maybe we can organize a GradCafe hangout? :P )

Edited by Two Espressos

Thank you!!

Yes, it is completely illogical to capitalize it, unless it's the name of an official department (i.e. the Theory Department at X University), but I was just having one of those total brain disconnects, like when you can't for the life of you spell a really simple word. I kept staring at my SoP like it was an alien thing and suddenly I started questioning basic grammar and syntax...

I guess I've been working on it too long. :blink:

I was just having one of those total brain disconnects, like when you can't for the life of you spell a really simple word.

This happens to me all the time! Real life example: I'll go to write the word "sky," and it'll feel totally alien to me. This is such an interesting phenomenon. Too bad the more science-oriented students don't post here often; there's probably a neat scientific explanation for it.

As a subjective experience though, it's totally wild and bizarre.

Edited by Two Espressos

Quick Question:

If a department website doesn't specify if a SOP should be single or double spaced, should we assume it should be double spaced? Or should we email and check?

I get the impression that writing sample lengths are double spaced whereas SoP lengths are single spaced. Which is utterly ridiculous, but oh well.

Probably best to contact the department. That can mean a difference of 300-500 words, depending on the page lengths.

Yah I'm guessing this is a definite email situation. I already emailed a program once to ask about length and they responded "2 pages." I didn't want to email them back and annoy them asking if that meant double or single spaced, so I posted here instead, and then emailed them back anyway. Still haven't heard back from them -- great, I've upset the administrative assistant.