Low GPA...what are my chances ?

herty

Hi All!

I Graduated from a top 30 university majored in Psychology and minored in Statistics

- overall GPA:3.17 (Major GPA: 3.75 and last two years of GPA: 3.65)

GRE: V:164 (670) Q:162 (770) W:4.0

GRE Psych subject: 730

I have 2 years of RA experience at a Psychiatry lab and I am currently working at the same lab as a full time research study coordinator (~1year).

I have independent research experience done during my senior year of undergrad and have 2nd authored in one publication. I have also done a poster presentation and a oral presentation at conferences.

I am thinking of applying to Teacher's college (personality and psychopathology), NYU (general), Fordham (applied psyc methods), Univ-Pitt (applied developmental psyc), Brandeis (general), Boston college and Boston University(general).

What are my chances for getting into these master's programs?

Thanks!

Edited by herty

Are you just looking at masters programs? Also, what's your subfield?

Yes, I'm just applying to get into a master's program.

I've worked with studies that look at mother-infant attachment, drug use and maternal behavior, stress response and hormonal responses to infant cues. I would be open to programs as long as they have some emphasis on physiology like developmental, bio behavioral or psychopathology - I don't think I would be a good fit for social or education. I/O psyc etc.

I minored in statistics during undergrad so I am also interested in psychological methods as well.

Edited by herty

I can't speak to the other schools, b/c this isn't my field, but you should def. be OK with Columbia TC. Is the psych GRE out of 800 (chem's GRE isn't)? I can certainly say your experience, major gpa and general GREs look solid. Good luck!

I can't speak to the other schools, b/c this isn't my field, but you should def. be OK with Columbia TC. Is the psych GRE out of 800 (chem's GRE isn't)? I can certainly say your experience, major gpa and general GREs look solid. Good luck!

The psyc gre is out of 880. 730 would be at the 87th percentile.

Well, if you're interested in methods, quant psych programs like the one at Fordham or Middle Tennessee are really great. Your scores are very on par for that. In fact, you'd be pretty competitive in quant psych PhDs as long as your grades in stats and math look good. Then you'd be able to get a free masters. Seriously, when I talked to a prof at Ohio State he told me to apply for the PhD instead of stats masters.