Worth applying, or should I wait?

nerdspeak

I took a year off and planned on applying this year to grad programs in history, but the job market led to me getting cold feet. However, I've realized that this is what I want to do and I need to just suck it up.

Anyway, I already have recs from when I applied to the Rhodes and Marshall, so that's not a problem. Ditto with the writing sample, and I feel like a month is enough time to put together a decent statement of purpose--I pretty much know what to say. My GRE scores, however, are another story--I took my first practice test just now and received a 163 verbal and a 130 math (I used to be good at math, so I could improve this score--I forgot the pythagorean theorem, for example).

Do you guys think I should just apply? Would getting rejected hurt my chances if I apply again next year? I am shooting for UChicago/Harvard/Penn/Brown/WUSTL so I don't have that much room for error.

In a sense it seems silly to rush--I have a job right now and it's probably a good idea to save money. But if I wait I will be turning twenty-five during the fall of my first year. That seems old, given that I will probably take eight years to finish.

I would wait.

A lot of programs have deadlines on Dec 1 or Dec 15 and it just doesn't seem like enough time for you to put together a strong application. Most people spend months on their essays - for example, giving them to former professors to read and review etc, which can just take time because professors are busy. It doesn't seem like you would really have the time to put into getting really competitve essays done in the next few weeks.

Further it can take several weeks to get your GRE writing score back - but you need to imput that information on your application. Would you even have enough time to take the GRE before the applications are due?

Applications cost on average 100 dollars, so why waste your money?

Most of the people entering my program were 26 at orientation their first year and many were older, so turning 25 really wouldn't be that old compared to most other grad students.

I don't know if waiting for the writing score would necessarily be a problem. I took the GRE in late October and I think they've streamlined the process - I got my official scores/writing score in 6 days. They told me it would take 7-10 days.

That said, I agree that you shouldn't rush. Like remenis said, 25 is not old at all - you'd likely be on the young side of average. You'll be happy you saved the extra money later.

I don't know what the GRE scores mean anymore since the scoring system changed, but I would say pick a few programs and go ahead and apply. The learning experience of doing it once and getting everything together may be worth it in and of itself, if you didn't get in anywhere this time. I would not apply to say 10-15 schools this time. That is a much bigger time commitment, but I think 3-4 could be managable.

I would advise you to consider applying to a few places if you meet these conditions.

1) You are willing to admit that there is a strong possibility, perhaps <50% depending on your circumstances, that you will not receive a funded offer for a PhD program this cycle. This is especially the case if you're only applying to schools of the caliber you mentioned. If you can't deal with the emotional trauma of rejection (which is very real) and expect to be able to return to it in a year, don't apply this year.

2) You can spare the expense. If that extra application fee/GRE fee/transcript fee means you can't eat for a week, it's probably best to wait.

3) You have a very strong idea of which schools/POIs would fit your interests. If you don't have at least 1-2 schools/POIs that immediately pop out to you as great fits, don't apply this year.

4) You believe you would be substantially happier spending next year in a history graduate program rather than in your current job. If you're content with your current job, especially if it has long-term potential, then don't apply this year.

5) If you already have a very strong sample of historical writing that shows off your abilities with primary sources - preferably in a foreign language and in the field you're applying for. If you don't have this ready, don't bother. It will take a month just to revise everything to fit the different page length requirements each program has.

As for your other concerns, I don't know why applying once would hurt you the next time around. People get in on their second try. If your application is so bad that they would actually remember it a year later, there's little chance you'll be getting in there anyway. On the other hand, if you have a strong application, but end up getting rejected, there's no reason not to think that some of your advocates will remember you the next year. [the trouble being that there's no real way of knowing how your application is received other than acceptances/waitlist/rejection]

Finally, 25 is not too old at all. I think it's a very good age to begin a doctoral program, actually.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.