PhD Research Proposal (advice needed!)

johnstone31

Hi,

I am trying to put together a research proposal for a PhD in Economics. It will lean towards political economy/history. I want to look at the economics of a cashless society, namely the ability of central banks to use negative interest rates as a tool against recessions. But I am stuck on the methodology section... because I think I will be looking for comparable examples in history to give insight into how a change now to a cashless society would work...

Any thoughts welcome, thank you in advance.

You're currently enrolled in a program? Dissertation proposals, especially on such a heterodox topic, are not recommended for applications, and can get you rejected.

I'm sorry but what? Dissertation proposal? He is trying to be distinct about his future research by using a concrete example of interest. All the advice I have ever gotten is to be extremely distinct about the research that you are interested in - if they think that your research will fit then it will progress from joining the program and developing your skills.

I think you are going in right direction - cant help with the question itself but I would ignore econosocio's point.

Hi thanks for both of your replies. But I agree with Cherub and I don't undersand Econosocio's reply. I am trying to get on to a program and hence need to be specific. They are quite clear that generic, unfocused research proposals won't be accepted. I appreciate my question is quite specific so just hoping someone in that area sees this post.

cheers

hi, maybe if I make the question more generic it might help... seen lots of views but not too many replies... hint taken.

Does anyone know how to go about framing a methodology for a project on economic history? e.g. when there is no econometric model to descirbe and initially not sure where data will come from or if it's even available!

thanks

• 1 month later...

The main argument for negative-interest money suffers from the naturalistic fallacy, that money should "rot" or "rust" in storage just like other commodities. The rest of the argument is that negative interest rates force money into circulation and defeat the alleged tendency for money to get invested more and more into financial markets and away from the "real" economy. These sorts of arguments are neither explored nor respected in economics, because they deny basic economic realities -- for instance, that the financial sector, even after a recent explosion in growth in the last couple of decades, still takes up only a few percent of national income. That is, briefly, why the idea will sound zany to economists and likely count against you.

As far as dissertation proposals in economics SOPs go, cherub is correctly identifying the advice for social sciences *outside* economics. It is not customary in economics to pitch anything more than broad research interests in an economics SOP. Most of them are barely read. In fact they are read, in the words of my (economics) adviser, "to see if you're crazy or not." And on another occasion, "to see if you think you're going to solve world poverty by turning ice cream into money."

• 1 year later...

If you are writing this for your SOP, then I would heed gilbertrollins' advice.  I would, if I were you, look up a professor at the university that you are interested in attending that is in a field that you think you may like (economic history, for example).  Read through two or three of his/her published/working papers.  Then insert a couple of sentences into your SOP of why you liked his/her paper(s) and that you are very interested in working under this particular professor.

Edited by Salty_Jelly