Asking a TA?

smeagoly

I had been planning on asking three professors to write my letters and, while two have been eager to help, the third professor has been completely unresponsive to my emails. I'm now working on finding a third recommender to ask instead. The person who knows me and my research the best is definitely a grad student that TAed the class in which I wrote the paper. He's a great guy, ABD, and was insanely enthusiastic about my paper, but I'm not sure how to go about this. Should I just ask him? Should I have him write the letter, but ask the actually prof (whom I barely know) to actually sign and submit it? If so, how do I go about suggesting that? I'd be insanely grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.

Is there another professor you can ask? If you really have no other options, get the TA. It's important to complete the app and have three recommenders; incomplete apps are automatically in the trash. Ideally though, you don't want to submit recs from anyone who isn't a a prof, especially if he doesn't even have his PhD.

Almost any other option would be better than one from your TA, imo.

Even for undergrads who have worked for me for years, I know mine would carry almost no weight. Personally, because of that, I'd decline if asked.

It would be more typical for my PI to write the letter, based heavily on my inputs/initial draft.

But, as mentioned, if you need it to complete your app, then it will serve that purpose.

Don't ask the TA -- find a professor. These letters really do matter. Sure, it would complete your application, but it would be looked upon quite unfavorably in my opinion. I had letters from profs, but even they weren't considered very good by one program I applied to because they "aren't from people we know" (literal quote).

If you ask the TA, the professor from the same course should also be involved in writing the letter and should sign it. A letter from someone who does not have a PhD carries very little weight. (Committees want to know about your chances of succeeding in a PhD program, and it difficult for someone who does not yet have a PhD to speak about this with authority.)

Just wondering---would it be any better if they had a phd even if they were not a prof? I considered getting one from a grad student (who has since finished and started a postdoc elsewhere) that I worked closely with when our PI was incommunicado... Where would that letter rank in the scheme of things? Only slightly above a grad student?

Definitely better than a grad student. A prof is best (because they will have taught graduate students and will be able to offer useful comparisons), but someone with a PhD in the area you are applying for and who you have worked with is definitely not the end of the world. (I assume you will have letters from other professors too.)