Do I have a shot?

marge

Hello there, I am interested in applying for a CS MS, and I don't know where to begin.

I was a econ major but have a handful of CS classes under my belt. 3.3 GPA, 166Q/166V GRE.

What range of schools should I be looking at? I am in the DC area, so I'm considering applying to GMU and GWU. Is that about right, too high, or too low?

Thank you so much in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Edited by marge

Hello there, I am interested in applying for a CS MS, and I don't know where to begin.

I was a econ major but have a handful of CS classes under my belt. 3.3 GPA, 166Q/166V GRE.

What range of schools should I be looking at? I am in the DC area, so I'm considering applying to GMU and GWU. Is that about right, too high, or too low?

Thank you so much in advance for any guidance you can provide.

The state in which you reside will impact your choices.

If you live in Virginia, George Mason's CS program is a winner, hands down, or the following reasons:

1. Tuition and fees are relatively inexpensive at $578.75 plus a $12.00 course fee, per credit hour. Many students take advantage of their employers' tuition assistance programs - which are tax free and hopefully will remain so, unless Congress fails to get its act together on the future of the 2001 tax legislation.

2. George Mason is part of the Consortium, which allows George Mason students to take up to six graduate credit hours at other Consortium universities (like GWU, Maryland, Georgetown, American, and so forth) while paying George Mason tuition and fee rates. George Mason students can also access Consortium libraries.

3. George Mason's CS program is actually quite good - and I speak from having taken several CS classes at George Mason before switching to CpE.

That said, if you live in Maryland, apply to Maryland - specifically, the College Park campus. If you are uncomfortable applying directly to the degree program, then apply to take classes as a non-degree student. Your GRE scores and grades will let you in just fine. After you have taken a few courses, apply to the degree program.

I did not apply to GW due to the cost. Tuition ranges from $885 per credit hour to $1,310 per credit hour at the Science and Technology campus here in Ashburn.

Also keep in mind that you can obtain a CS graduate degree from Virginia Tech at its Northern Virginia Center in Falls Church.

You may also want to look into an online MSCS from Colorado State or the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The latter is a top 10 institution. Note that these last two programs are terminal master's degrees, so if you are eventually looking to get a Ph.D., that part may impact your choice of program.