Chances/Funding for Vandy/Duke Divinity Schools?

Josh J.

Hello all,

I am applying to three schools right now, two top tier schools and a denominational school: Vanderbilt (1st choice), Duke, and Lipscomb (in Nashville). For all three I'm applying for an MTS, focusing on historical theology. I'm applying here because my wife is applying for nursing residency programs in Nashville and NC.

I am currently a senior at Warner Pacific College. My first year of education was at a small denominational school right out of high school... I hated it, got a 2.0 barely, and dropped out at the end of the year. I then went into the work force, and eventually ended up in a ten year career Iaw enforcement. I decided to go back to school a couple of years later after starting my career, about 8 years after dropping out. I got an AA in Community College with a 3.94 GPA (they didn't count my former coursework in GPA totals).

At Warner, I've gotten a 4.0 in all my coursework there, but they do count my work at other schools, so I have a 3.664 GPA.

I'm heavily involved in research. I'm part of a social science of religion project that is getting scholarly attention and already has article/book deals going, and will be listed as an author for these published works. I'm also involved in some exciting historical research on US government interference with religious groups during times of crisis. I should have author credit on published works here as well, and publish we will.

So, for those with experience with these schools, what are my chances do you think, for both admission and funding?

Thanks!

Josh

As far as funding (based on my experience when I was accepted to Vandy and Duke a few years ago): Vanderbilt is good. They will give you an initial offer, ask them (politely) for more and they will bump it up. Duke was the worst of all the schools I was accepted to, only around 30% tuition if I recall correctly. On the other hand, their MDiv is well funded, something to think about.