Finding the right fit: Programs similar to HDS?

Anyong

Hey everybody,

Although I just created an account, I have been reading these forums ever since I started the grad school application process and have found the information to be very helpful.

I graduated with a degree in Comparative Studies with a focus in Religion in June from Ohio State. My degree concentrated on examining the construction of knowledge and the dynamics of power within a range of different discourses (a lot of Foucault), and the interdiciplinary structure of the department also allowed me to take a ton of classes with several Historians of Religion. Therefore, I feel like I am pretty well versed in the current discourse within the field of Religious Studies. In any case, during my final year, I became very interested in studying the rise of Christianity in Korea during the 20th century, and I would like to focus my graduate studies on this topic. I think that the Comparative Studies focus at Harvard Divinity is a great fit for me, not only because of the interdiciplinary structure of the program, but also because of the the Korea Institute at Harvard. Likewise, I know that the divinity school at the University of Chicago is very reputable for their programs focusing on the academic study of religion, and they too have a center dedicated to East Asian Studies (although it is not as concentrated as Harvard).

However, I do not believe that I am a shoe in at either program. My undergrad GPA was 3.48 (major GPA 3.65) and my GRE Scores are V160 Q155 and W TBD. I anticipate my LORs to be good, and my SOP should be fine as well.

Given these statistics, do you guys have any suggestions as to any other programs I should apply to given the realistic chance that I do not get into either HDS of Chicago?

Thanks!!

It seems like your chances of getting in are much better than my own. I took the GRE and did quite terribly last week. I managed a 159 for the verbal and 140 for quantitative: the AW is still pending. I did about a month of preparation and I have to admit my math prep was almost non-existent. I have no idea if I should really bother re-taking the GRE. I really can't afford to do it again but I actually wonder if I should.

The GRE fiasco aside, I was also drawn to HDS's MTS program because it offers a program that allows for an interdisciplinary approach to the study of religion. From what I have read on this forum from both admitted students and professors who have recommended admitted students, there is no single criterion that determines admission. Based on anecdotal evidence, it seems not out of the question to get admitted with a B- cum. average or modest GRE scores. I would imagine the SOP and LORs would need to be very persuasive, however. I think your GRE is more than fine, from what I have seen from admitted students on this forum something in the mid-150's for both would be acceptable for the MTS.

Which makes me worry about my own quantitative score. I have read somewhere that the GRE is almost negligible in admissions considerations except in the case where it's very bad. I wonder if they could really care whether or not I have remembered various forumalae for geometric shapes?

Breathe, yall. I'm in my second year at HDS, and my cumulative GPA was a 2.67. Now,half of that was prior to 1991, and the most recent part was a 3.97, but please, stop worrying about your GPA. You want to be a good fit, and you need to be clear about why you're a fit for HDS in your SOP.

PS: I don't know that Foucault is bigger than Jesus, but he's certainly uh, looms large in some students pantheon of academic crushes, or something.