Quick SOP question

How serious is it if you go over the word count for your Statement of Purpose? I am supposed to only write 750 words, but at the moment I cannot seem to cut to more than 800 words. Do schools really count the number of words?

Okay, so I have the same problem. My SOP is around 580 words, and Northwestern wants "approximately" 400-500, according to their website. I don't see how I'm going to cut anything out of mine. Would submitting a SOP at this length jeopardize my application in any way? I need to know soon because today is the deadline, haha.

Okay, so I have the same problem. My SOP is around 580 words, and Northwestern wants "approximately" 400-500, according to their website. I don't see how I'm going to cut anything out of mine. Would submitting a SOP at this length jeopardize my application in any way? I need to know soon because today is the deadline, haha.

Hey Two Espressos,

Is there absolutely no way to cut it any further? I think if you get it to maybe 550 it'll be alright. Last year, I submitted a 525-word SoP to a program with the same requirement and was wait-listed. I don't think it's anyone's job to sit there counting SOP lengths, but if the document looks/feels long it might be an issue. If you do happen to go with the longer statement, I'd suggest (as noted above) uploading it as a PDF to ensure there's no easy way for word-length to be counted. If it were me, I'd at least try to get it to 550 though.

Hey Two Espressos,

Is there absolutely no way to cut it any further? I think if you get it to maybe 550 it'll be alright. Last year, I submitted a 525-word SoP to a program with the same requirement and was wait-listed. I don't think it's anyone's job to sit there counting SOP lengths, but if the document looks/feels long it might be an issue. If you do happen to go with the longer statement, I'd suggest (as noted above) uploading it as a PDF to ensure there's no easy way for word-length to be counted. If it were me, I'd at least try to get it to 550 though.

Thanks for your input! After scrutinizing my SOP some more, I believe I will at least be able to get it to 550 words or less.

My NW one is 515. It fits on one page. I think as long as you fit on one page (single-spaced, obviously), you'll be okay. Good luck!

OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS - My life right now.

My NW one is 515. It fits on one page. I think as long as you fit on one page (single-spaced, obviously), you'll be okay. Good luck!

OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS - My life right now.

Mine was like 517 or something. But wait-- did it *have* to be single-spaced? Mine's double-spaced. I don't remember reading that it had to be single-spaced?

Oh god, am I fucking this up already?!

My Wisconsin one is about 530 and REALLY doesn't fit on one page. I think there can be a fair amount of differentiation based on format (and word choice) that make 50 words over really tough to distinguish on sight.

I feel like the standard practice is single spaced sop, double spaced writing sample but, unless the program specifically asks for single spaced, double spacing is not really a big deal. (And I feel like I may have one program somewhere in this mess asking for double spaced so... Ymmv and all that.)

Most schools don't specify. My writing sample is obviously double-spaced. Chicago gave their required lengths in single-spaced pages for the SoP and double-spaced pages of the WS, so--unless a school expressly forbids it--I've been writing my SoPs single spaced.

I don't think it matters one way or the other, unless the school specifically requires it. I submitted all my SOPs double-spaced last year and was wait-listed at three schools. I think it looks better and is easier to read double-spaced, so that's how I'm doing it.

I usually did 1.15 for my single spaced ones because it looks better. The only one where I kept it straight up single spaced was Colorado bc their's states it can only be 1-11/2 pages, and 1.15 made it closer to two.

If it doesn't specify, assume single spaced. If it does, do whatever it says.

I single spaced unless specified as well, except for University of Arizona's RCTE program. The website states that the average SoP is three to six pages long, so I assumed they meant double-spaced!