Third recommender dilemma - again

maturia

I have secured two references from two professors who know me and my work pretty well. I had chosen a third referee, but after emailing them twice, I have not heard back from them and I figure with the clock ticking, I need to ask someone else instead ASAP. I am torn between asking a prof who could probably write me a "DWIC" letter, vs asking a former boss from a summer job who might be able to discuss different things from the two profs I already have, but who isn't very familiar with academia, the procedures involved in applying to grad school, etc, and isn't in the public health field. I know neither of these sounds like a stellar option, but which would you go with? Thanks for any advice!

What kind of program are you applying to? This might help a little in terms of what admissions is looking for. With the info you have provided, I am leaning towards the former boss; (s)he may have something different to add that may appeal to the admissions committee, whereas a "did well in class" letter won't tell them anything they don't already know from your application.

What kind of program are you applying to? This might help a little in terms of what admissions is looking for. With the info you have provided, I am leaning towards the former boss; (s)he may have something different to add that may appeal to the admissions committee, whereas a "did well in class" letter won't tell them anything they don't already know from your application.

Thanks for your reply. I am applying to MPH programs, and specifically to the Epidemiology stream. That was my thought too - that the boss could maybe give a different view than just a DWIC letter. However, will the admissions committee be likely to look down on the fact that this person is neither in academia nor the public health field?

Epidemiology is definitely more research-based than other public health disciplines so a letter from this prof might be a good idea anyway. Why not ask both? You never know who could decline for whatever reason, and I am sure having more than three LoRs wouldn't hurt.