Schools that don't put much emphasis on undergrad grades

kphd

Hi All!

I got some very encouraging responses from Professors at the following:

CUNY Syracuse Upenn Duke Brown Umich UCLA UCSB

Can you tell if any of these schools are known to place less emphasis on undergrad and grad grades? Grades are the major weakness in my record.

Thanks a lot!

I can tell you right now that you've got private and Ivy League schools on here... yes they care. They have a reputation to keep up. The key is to not mention your GPA until as late as possible in the process. If they like you as a potential candidate first, it may be easier to get around. That being said, "major weakness" is vague. For example, I went to Purdue and graduated with a 2.9 GPA. That's a major weakness. Other kids have been claiming that their 3.5 GPA is terrible. So it's hard to know your situation.

I can tell you right now that you've got private and Ivy League schools on here... yes they care. They have a reputation to keep up. The key is to not mention your GPA until as late as possible in the process. If they like you as a potential candidate first, it may be easier to get around. That being said, "major weakness" is vague. For example, I went to Purdue and graduated with a 2.9 GPA. That's a major weakness. Other kids have been claiming that their 3.5 GPA is terrible. So it's hard to know your situation.

Hi! thanks for the reply. I have a "B" I guess most universities would consider that equivalent to 3.0. and yes I am an international...but won't that be an advantage? Since one may place more emphasis on GRE scores rather an grades from foreign universities?

By any chance are you implying that the Public universities may place less emphasis on grades than private?

Thanks

Hi! thanks for the reply. I have a "B" I guess most universities would consider that equivalent to 3.0. and yes I am an international...but won't that be an advantage? Since one may place more emphasis on GRE scores rather an grades from foreign universities?

By any chance are you implying that the Public universities may place less emphasis on grades than private?

Thanks

Not necessarily. All I'm saying is that more "high end" schools tend to be very exclusive. But if you have good research experience and letters of recommendations and a strong undergrad background, and a good GRE score they might overlook it. Really you should ask yourself: can I bring them something that makes me better than their other applicants? That should help you guage your chances.

Not being a grade snob. Like I said, I have under a 3.0.