Divinity School?

caro

Hello,

Is everyone here applying to PhD programs etc...or might some of you be applying to Divinity School? I cannot find information on Divinity School programs on this site, and it would be good to hear some opinions (other than those of the schools themselves). I tried on the "professional schools" page, but there was no forum. I'd be applying in the next round.

thanks,

Caroline

Hi Caro, I applied to Div Schools this year (M.Div program) and have done a fair amount of research on admissions, what would you like to know? (GPA/GRE/ECs/Career goals/denomination any of that junk would be useful to answering your questions).

Best.

Hi,

Basically, I want to know (this is going to sound very stupid) what the classes are like in Divinity School; what is the approach to the study of the Bible? Is it historical, sociological, etc, or is it always from the position of the believer? I am very interested in religion and like very much writing on religion, (have read things by Steven Runciman, IM Lewis, M. Eliade etc...my interest is more historical; early Christianity specifically) but I'm afraid I might be better off in an undergrad religious studies program. The trouble is, I already have a bachelor's from the Maryland Institute College of Art...and a master's from Yale, also in visual art. I am now teaching private high school (art) out west, and have become involved with the Episcopal Church, although I was brought up without church attendance and am not baptized. I want to learn more about religion and can really see myself working for the church in some way. However I haven't taken the GRE and am very scared of it.

The more I write, the worse this is seeming! I guess I could attend the study groups at "my" church. When I was at Yale about 10 years ago, I took some classes at the Div School, so it gave me a kind of romantic notion about attending...the teachers were great, and it was so beautiful. Maybe it would be a good idea to just solicit some good recommendations for books I can read on my own, for my own benefit, on my own time!

However, I would really like to hear kind of generally about what the Divinity School experience is like! Also, I would like to hear about why you decided to apply and what your background is.

thanks

Caro

Hi Caro

I would say div school classes are definitely not - or at least not necessarily - from a religious perspective. Especially at schools like harvard and yale, the religion profs and classes are part of the university (and the religious studies depts), so the approach is academic. students come from a variety of backgrounds, so there is no presumption of being christian, etc. if you do an MDiv degre, which is more oriented towards ordination, those (mdiv-specific) classes and students might explore issues and scholarship from a more theologically oriented backrgound. of course there is a spectrum of approaches to the study of religion, from totally secular to very much from the perspective of a particular denomination or faith, and this manifests differently in each scholar, student, publication, class, etc. in all, though, at many divinity schools, the classes are academic and do not presume any religious background. of course a seminary, and perhaps the divinity schools of more conservative or church-oriented schools, will have more of a religious perspective for classes

i went to harvard div (mts), which is part and parcel of the university at large - many of the classes are attended by students of GSAS who are not from the div school, and you can attend classes offered anywhere in the university (especially NELC, archaeology, etc., but including any subject). like i said, the mdiv classes are more theologically oriented, and while the div school is a great community and offers various religious events, many of the students and profs are secular, and most of the classes are 'secular' inasmuch as they approach the subjects academically, and not from the perspective of a believer. i believe the GRE is not required for the mts/mdiv applications, so you could try one of those programs and see how you like it. i thought the div school was a fantastic environment, and harvard of course a very resource-rich place to study.

hope that helps!

ps

i forgot to mention, as to your question of approach to hte bible specifically, it's generally historical-critical - i mostly took classes in NT and HB, from lutheran, jewish, agnostic, etc. profs, and the approach was always first academic, interpreting texts in light of archaeology, text criticism, etc. etc.

cheers

Hi,

Basically, I want to know (this is going to sound very stupid) what the classes are like in Divinity School; what is the approach to the study of the Bible? Is it historical, sociological, etc, or is it always from the position of the believer? I am very interested in religion and like very much writing on religion, (have read things by Steven Runciman, IM Lewis, M. Eliade etc...my interest is more historical; early Christianity specifically) but I'm afraid I might be better off in an undergrad religious studies program. The trouble is, I already have a bachelor's from the Maryland Institute College of Art...and a master's from Yale, also in visual art. I am now teaching private high school (art) out west, and have become involved with the Episcopal Church, although I was brought up without church attendance and am not baptized. I want to learn more about religion and can really see myself working for the church in some way. However I haven't taken the GRE and am very scared of it.

The more I write, the worse this is seeming! I guess I could attend the study groups at "my" church. When I was at Yale about 10 years ago, I took some classes at the Div School, so it gave me a kind of romantic notion about attending...the teachers were great, and it was so beautiful. Maybe it would be a good idea to just solicit some good recommendations for books I can read on my own, for my own benefit, on my own time!

However, I would really like to hear kind of generally about what the Divinity School experience is like! Also, I would like to hear about why you decided to apply and what your background is.

thanks

Caro

Yale Divinity seems like it would be Home for you.

First, I will say that I have perceived a difference in the style of coursework and interpretation when looking into seminaries and divinity schools. Whereas Seminaries tend to be more thoroughly dedicated to the training of ministers, Div schools tend to have a good mix between furture academic/lay ministers and ordination candidates. Div schools, partially for this reason, have a more scholastic aspproach, whereas seminaries are more faith/God first oriented. There are obviously exceptions to this rule, but it is what I have found as a generality.

You already have alumni status at another school at Yale, and your Episcopal leanings will be more than welcomed at Yale Div (Yale is affliated with an Episcopal Div school). So Given Your UG was good enough to get you into Yale Art, your Grad degree from Yale, and your Work Exp, I think You would get into Yale Div With $$$. I imagine you would want to start in the MAR program (M.Div is for ordination candidates usually), Yale has several MAR concentrations, including Liturgics, which given your art background and your interest in Religious History may suit you well.

Best of Luck,

PS I talked to a Yale admissions person at their open house, she said that the GRE usually wasnt important and is not required.

Dear Jufarius, Slick, etc

thank you so much for this encouragement. I was feeling pretty sheepish when I was trying to explain my interest in div school, so it's nice to hear that it's not totally out of my reach in every way. If you have a second, are there any readings you might be able to suggest? Eschatology is of particular interest to me, but also anything about early Christianity would be cool (I have to re-listen to last night's "Fresh Air"...it seemed interesting but I was grading papers so I missed all the best parts!). Anyway, it is just great to hear about div school from a student's perspective

Thanks a million

Caro

why not start by reading some of the seminal works of professors at harvard and yale who work in your area? then read their bibliographies and see what sources are foundational, important, etc.