Statistics. Precious statistics.

mbrown0315

If I remember correctly, a (very) few other places also publish some statistics on their matriculated students. I think I remember being able to find Minnesota's and Yale's when I applied, but that was three years ago so my memory might be a little off.

• 1 month later...

http://gradschool.unc.edu/pdf/2010-ADMISSION-STATISTICS.pdf

I completely missed this last time around but for future generations. At the end of the file - there is the GRE scores:

UNC Sociology:

Applied GREQuantative 666.22

Accepted GREQuantative 726.43

Denied GREQuantative 656.91

Enrolled GREQuantative 699.09

Applied GREVerbal 571.48

Accepted GREVerbal 663.57

Denied GREVerbal 557.24

Enrolled GREVerbal 647.27

Edited by cherub

Sorry - UNC! (and no - I was not spending hours on their graduate page trying to find the secret entrance!)

Columbia says this:

No department other than Psychology sets a minimum score requirement. For those applying to Psychology, although the department bases its decisions on an overall recommendation of applicants' scores, grades, recommendation letters and potential for scholarship in the program, it encourages applicants to have a combined verbal and quantitative GRE score of 1200 (for tests taken prior to August 1, 2011) or 310 (for tests taken after August 1, 2011 and subject to the revised scoring system).

Whereas you can do some inference from other programs at Northwestern:

Average Quantitative GRE Scores

Pol sci: 695

Stats: 783

econ: 798

Anthro: 698

Edited by cherub

Whereas you can do some inference from other programs at Northwestern:

Average Quantitative GRE Scores

Pol sci: 695

Stats: 783

econ: 798

Anthro: 698

Actually, no inference is necessary for Northwestern. From their admissions FAQ page:

What is the average GRE score of your applicants and of those admitted to the program?

Average GRE scores of all applicants in 2012 were: Verbal 710; Quantitative 620; and Analytical 5.5 for tests taken after October 2011. The average scores for those admitted on the University Fellowship were: Verbal 680; Quantitative 720; and Analytical 5.0 for tests taken after June 2011.

What is the average GPA?

The average undergraduate GPA of all applicants in 2012 was 3.7. The average of those admitted was 3.8.

It's interesting that the analytical writing and verbal scores are higher for the general pool of applicants than for the pool of those admitted. International applicants (like me) make the statistics pretty cloudy, huh?