Vanderbilt 2009

debinkenya

It wasn't an easy choice, especially because they don't tell you who your advisor will be before you accept. That makes it a bit difficult to imagine your next 4 years and thus hard to compare with other universities where I met personally with the potential advisor. At the end, though, they were consistently supportive of my research ideas, eager to allow me to collaborate across departments (Policy and Special Education), offered a respectable package and I love Nashville. It was critical to me that the department be collaborative in nature. There were only 2 schools that met that requirement. I had to love the location. It had to cost me nothing to attend. I needed a guarantee of being involved in a large research project so that I could get that experience from the start and it was non-negotiable that I be able to use my anthropology background in my research design. It doesn't hurt that the programs I want to work with are ranked 1 and 4 in the nation.

Those were my requirements. I'm sure your requirements are different or would have different weight in your consideration. I have been talking to a lot of different people about this, including some profs at Vanderbilt (and other unis). I find that people are very honest if you ask about how well they think you will fit. Everyone wants you to be successful, so if you are clear about what you are looking for, people are more than happy to offer advice.

Thanks for the information - it is very helpful!

I am going for my Masters, so my decision process will probably be a little different than yours. It is so interesting to learn about other people's admission/decision journeys!

I will be visiting Peabody in a few weeks - I am very excited!

I will keep you posted on my decision. :)

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use