Film & TV Master's Program in New England

darius

Hi,

I am applying to be a writing/directing concentrate in a brand new FTMA program at Sacred Heart University. I'd be one of 30, first year, in-coming students. It's supposed to be a conservatory environment. What are the pros and cons of being the first ever year in a grad program like this?

I have a BA in Film & Video Production, what would be a good reason to pursue an MA in Film? I guess, I'm mostly playing Devil's Advocate here, but because the film/media world is mostly built on technical skills and connections, what would the pros to pursuing a Master's in film beyond teaching it?

Right, well, good question. I don't have connections, really. So, I am looking to build that up and use FTMA's connections and work with real companies (they say they have a lot of partnerships). Also, I am hoping that the skills I learn go beyond just technical. I guess what I'm looking for is a community and a culture to help me make films. I want to collaborate and help others, too, and at a higher level then when I was in undergrad. Right now, I have no access to good equipment. I'm looking to be able to use the HD cameras, pro editing software, etc... My bigger question is about the newness of the program. Does anyone have experience with going into a new, small program. Do you really get a lot of individual attention? Do they really help you get out into the work force after you graduate?

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I have a friend who was part of the first-ever class in a totally different field (forensic linguistics), and she had more complaints than nice things to say. It wasn't the students or the faculty that bothered her, but since the program was brand new it lacked in a lot of the coursework, opportunities, research, conferences etc. she was looking forward to. Film and TV might be totally different though.