Guys help me push my Verbal from 144 to 150 ish!!

Raja Jul Haziq

Guys,

Im retaking my GRE in a month from now. I need any help i can get to push my verbal to 150! Please let suggest the best way to improve my verbal!! thanks guys! My GRE score now is V144, Q159. CGPA 3.98 from Uni of South Alabama. Applying master program in Civil Engineering.

Download Kaplan's GRE flash cards on your smartphone. 500 GRE words divided into three categories, it helped me immensely.

That's a really quick way to help. Other options include practice prep books. ETS and Manhattan are probably your best bets. ETS for general test-taking strategies, Manhattan's books are very specific and will help you with all components of the exam (verbal and quant - there are 8 books that I think you can purchase separately)

I pulled common GRE word lists that I found online and copied and pasted into lists of 30 words each in brainscape.com. Then I loaded them on my phone and learned a 30 word list a day. That, combined with practice tests that gave me feedback and studying latin word roots got me from 53rd percentile in my first practice test to the 86th on my actual GRE in about 5 weeks. It was a lot of work, but paid off

http://gre.tyrannosaurusprep.com/Vocabulary/Quiz-Games is not that comprehensive, but i found it fun and quick and easy to go through...

In terms of studying techniques, I would recommend taking your vocab lists and writing either sentences or paragraphs that contain them (that way, you get a better feel for context/how the word is used/where it belongs in a sentence, as well as having to think more about the word and really cement it and its meaning in your brain).

Likewise, Sparknotes has insanely poorly written novels that intentionally contain vocab words... They can be read online for free here: http://www.sparknotes.com/satfiction/ Even though they are technically SAT prep, I found them useful as a review. In any case, they are quick reads that (again) help contextualize words and really learn how to use them, instead of just memorizing their definitions.