M.A. Art History (with intention of continuing into the PhD)

Virago

So as I'm filling out my application, I click the first option, since I'm pursuing my M.A. I really don't want to bite off more than I can chew at this point in time. On second thought though, the Phd is likely. Do you guys think that an applicant who has intention of continuing into the PhD is more "serious" in the eyes of the admissions committee? I might be over-analyzing.

• MA Art History Only
  • PHD Art History Only
  • MA Art History w/ intention of continuing into the PHD

Possibly, yes. You might also have a better chance at full-funding if they're expecting you to continue on with the PhD. Alternately, the terminal-MA is probably significantly easier to get into. Most of the schools I've applied to have only made the distinction between MA and PhD, with the assumption that if someone without an MA clicks PhD, they mean to complete both degrees. You might want to get in touch with the director of the graduate program to ask what the implications of the different choices are if they aren't made clear on the program's website. Good luck!

I would say PhD, although if they don't specify a funding advantage it might not make much difference. But if it is not a track program per se and you are only declaring an intention to apply for their PhD program in the future than it shows commitment and is probably not that much harder to get into.