Rate my GRE ESSAY!

kethsaxena

Can anyone grade my essay?

A person who knowingly commits a crime has broken the social contract and should not retain any civil rights or the right to benefit from his or her own labor

The author claims that an individual who intentionally commits a crime should be penalized by revoking his civil rights or the right to benefit from his own labor. I agree to this to an extent but the degree of the crime needs to be taken into consideration. There are many factors that lead an individual into  criminal offences. They could be moral, social or psychological. Such  harsh punishments should be taken into action only through critical analysis of all the factors.

As I stated before, the degree of the offence has to be always taken into consideration. But heinous moral misconducts like rapes have no excuses. I believe no external factors can drive a person into rape. It is a clear lack of morals or a fear of consequences. Taking advantage of the fragility of an individual is just not acceptable. I would even say that the measures stated by the author are too mild for the offence! Murder is another such crime. God alone has the right to take away the life of an individual. But then again, It must be clear that such an act was clearly intentional, not by accident or in self-defense. 

Sometimes, certain circumstances can  lead an individual to crime.Poverty and unemployment are two big social factors that contribute to this. It is universally understood that theft is a crime. But you cannot penalize a destitute hungry man for stealing a loaf of bread, because the person is out of choices. He is stuck between between bearing the brunt of draconian laws, and being morally right and starving to death! It would be immoral from the legislative point of view to enforce the stated law in such cases.

There are times when an individual commits a crime in a state of mental imbalance. The human brain is a complex organ, and one can lose control over it. For example, Psychopath serial killers  sometimes commit murders in a state of mental unconsciousness. Though serious, one cannot call them as intentional crimes. Such individuals should be given a fair diagnosis of their mental health, and only then should be taken to trials.  It is not right to penalize a person for having a disorder over which he doesn't have control.  

The degree of moral misconduct needs to be analysed.  Heinous crimes like rape deserve draconian laws as stated by the author. But offences that are beyond the control of an individual need to be fairly assessed.

• 5 weeks later...

Greeting everyone,

I am new to this site. Have my GRE in a couple days from now. Can somebody grade my issue essay? Honest and valuable feedback appreciated. Thank you.

Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.

Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reasons on which that claim is based.

The author in this issue talks about what inevitably is the question of today, that the cities and large urban areas must receive the funding to prosper. He accentuates that it is primarily the cities where the culture of the country is preserved and thus it is the role of the government to ensure the safety of the tradition. I am in complete discord with the view expressed by the author. There are several reasons for my disagreement which I will try and explicate in the ensuing paragraphs.

Firstly, the government is not the sole patron to preserving cultural traditions. The government has many other duties and responsibilities to fulfill, that are of more higher priority and importance than to safeguard the culture of the country. For example, providing basic amenities to everyone like food, clothing and shelter are paramount to the government. The governments of developed countries like the USA are imposed upon the welfare of the people, whereas governments of the developed countries face the rising problems of poverty, education, mal-nourishment, etc. The administration has to be looked upon rather than emphasizing culture preservation schemes.

Secondly, cultural traditions-by this, I mean chiefly arts-are a propriety of individuals of the society. A person follows or chooses to do arts according to his own will and wish. Thus, it becomes the responsibility of the individual to preserve the culture and also pass on to the next generation. Funding from the government authorities will only curb this development of culture, which though could burgeon at its best. Moreover, it is the rural and suburban regions of the country where culture actually thrives and exists, big cities and urban areas are just a ‘showcase’ to display the art and tradition.

Furthermore, the cities has its own business firms run by private individuals or some government industries from where it can already generate funding to excel. Money is of least importance to the cities. However, if this money be provided to the regions in need or to the people who are needy, there may be a chance, even if a slight one that they thrive and live to support the preservation of art, eventually strengthening the nation-both as a cultural breeding ground and as a financial superpower.

To wrap up my discussion over this issue, I would like to exemplify that though there is minimal role of government in preserving art and tradition of the country, it cannot be entirely overlooked. The government and the citizens, both together, must strive to preserve the culture of the nation.

(words:424)

Please give a prompt reply. Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Governments should offer a free university education to any student who has been admitted to a university but who cannot afford the tuition.

Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take.  In developing and supporting your position, you should consider the possible consequences of implementing the policy and explain how these consequences shape your position.

Going to a university without the cost of tuition is a major dream of many high school students; whether it is through scholarships, grants, or loans, most of these students want to go to a university with their tuition being paid for.  If this policy were implemented this would mean that more students would have access to going to college and earning a degree, it also gives these high school students hope that they can one day go to college regardless of whether or not they can afford it, but it also raises to question: who will pay for it in the end? Will this end in an increase in paying-students tuition? 

This policy is a blessing for many of the low-income and resourced families that have children and may think that they can never go to college because they cannot afford it.  There are students across the United States that have the dream of going to college one day but with parents that cannot afford a house payment, let alone college tuition, sometimes it is not realistic for them.  These students who earn their degree would be better able to turn a new leaf in their life and begin a new cycle- rather than staying below the poverty level.  They could also be the future of the medicine, engineering, or business fields.

Secondly, implementing this policy would give the students hope that one day they can go to college with free tuition but what fairness is this to students that are low-income but have received many scholarships and grants that would pay for their tuition? Would the school still have free tuition for these students even though their scholarships and grants would also cover their room/board and school supplies? 

However, what is the downfall to implementing this policy?  Perhaps tuition-paying students will have to pay more for their tuition and other expenses in order to balance the cost of the university giving free tuition.  Also, how would it be analyzed that a student can actually not afford the tuition?  Will they go strictly based on the FAFSA information which can sometimes be inaccurate?  What will happen if the student decides to dropout during their second year?  It would only seem appropriate that they would have to pay back the free tuition received.  There should be a clause in this policy stating that the student must graduate within that university or they will be fined the amount of tuition that they received free.   

Nonetheless, all students who want to go to college deserve the chance of going to college regardless of their financial state.  This policy would be a great beginning to making the dream of many high school students come true, but there would need to be rules and regulations that follow this policy before it were to be implemented fully within the United States.         

If someone would please grade my essay I would ever so thankful!  This is my first attempt at an issue essay;