Santa Cruz

chillofrito

I had a phone interview with a prof some time ago, with the final outcome being that they thought I needed to take a few more classes before they could admit me (basically a rejection with an encouraging "try again next year). Not sure what that means for people who haven't heard anything, though.

I had a phone interview with them where they told me they could only fund one international student this year and basically asked if I would come, if admitted. This subsequently resulted in my withdrawing my application.

Okay so one international. . . man they must be hurting. Did they let any other information slip? Obviously I'm not their top choice but since they are mine, I'm hoping I'm on the wait list. I have a school I'd like to go to that I can fall back on but man, Santa Cruz. . .

I don't have good news for you. They told me during the interview that they can't re-offer the funding if the international student they offered admissions to declined. That's why I withdrew my application. Maybe someone who's been accepted and visited can give you more exact information about their current funding situation, because they were hoping it might improve. I've met two Americans who have been accepted, but I haven't heard about any internationals who were accepted. I imagine it's possible that UCSC hasn't officially offered admissions to any international student yet, and that instead they are informally going down the list of international applicants and finding out the likelihood that they will attend. At this point I don't think it can hurt to write UCSC to let them know they're your top choice and ask what the status of you application is. If a waiting list really does exist, your position on it might improve..

Okay so one international. . . man they must be hurting.

FYI it has always been like this (i.e. it is not a function of the present economic climate) -- at the UCs in general it is very difficult/expensive to fund international students.

Did they let any other information slip? Obviously I'm not their top choice but since they are mine, I'm hoping I'm on the wait list. I have a school I'd like to go to that I can fall back on but man, Santa Cruz. . .

Their visiting event for accepted students is yesterday/today, sorry...

FYI it has always been like this (i.e. it is not a function of the present economic climate) -- at the UCs in general it is very difficult/expensive to fund international students.

Ooh. Good to know. (I'm a Canadian with an acceptance to one of them, so...)

Ooh. Good to know. (I'm a Canadian with an acceptance to one of them, so...)

Yea, you're in luck. I'm an Indian and a professor, a top notch researcher in my field of interest at one of the UC's, had to tell me that she was extremely interested in me joining her lab but couldn't secure the necessary funds from the state. That is probably the worst kind of rejection one can get :( She even advised me on which journal to send my paper to, one that was rejected by JASA on the basis of "interesting work but falls out of the scope of acoustics" and gave me advice about the other possible acceptances that could come my way and how I should decide where to go, etc. The good thing is she said we'd remain in touch and I'd look to collaborate sometime in the future.. So I will probably contact her when its time to do a post-doc.

But this does suck :| and I think this time it does have something to do with the present economic crisis as well.

Yea, you're in luck. I'm an Indian and a professor, a top notch researcher in my field of interest at one of the UC's, had to tell me that she was extremely interested in me joining her lab but couldn't secure the necessary funds from the state. That is probably the worst kind of rejection one can get :( She even advised me on which journal to send my paper to, one that was rejected by JASA on the basis of "interesting work but falls out of the scope of acoustics" and gave me advice about the other possible acceptances that could come my way and how I should decide where to go, etc. The good thing is she said we'd remain in touch and I'd look to collaborate sometime in the future.. So I will probably contact her when its time to do a post-doc.

But this does suck :| and I think this time it does have something to do with the present economic crisis as well.

Sorry, what I meant was that I got an acceptance but they haven't decided about how much funding they can give me. Meaning that I'm glad to learn that they can't offer much to international students, since I could be disappointed by how little they might offer me and, if so, will now know why that would be the case.

I'm really sorry about your rejection for purely financial reasons! What a drag.

Well, got a nice rejection email from the chair yesterday. So now I'm just waiting on word about funding from the one school that accepted me. What a great idea it was to apply almost exclusively to state schools. Oh well, I consider myself fortunate anyhow. Good luck to everyone else.