Math skills in Geography?

wanderingalbatross

Hi everyone, I am a little concerned about one aspect of my application -- my grades in math on my transcript are horrible. I did get an A in statistics with a 97 average for the class, but have never gotten better than a C+ in a calculus class (I have 2 F's on my transcript, from failing 1st semester (differential) calc, then passing it, then failing 2nd semester (integral) calc, then passing it).

I am applying with a focus in physical geography and I know that we rarely use math other than statistics, in which I did very well, but I'm concerned that my calc record could still cripple my application. My GRE Quant was 74th% which is decent but not great. What do you guys think?

• 4 weeks later...

From experience, I can tell you that I was recently accepted to a top ten Geography program focusing on Environmental History, and I myself had an F and a D in a pair of calc classes (although the F was just a 1-hour class).

So, it doesn't help to get those grades. But in the grand scheme of non-math centric Geography foci, it really doesn't hurt a whole heck of a lot. At least in my experience anyway.

• 1 year later...

Don't worry about it, everything you need to know will be taught in spatial statistics.  That being said, worry about it before you start publishing papers because if you are using GeoDa or the Spatial Analyst extension and spitting out data with no foresight or understanding of your models, you will be laughed out of published works.

In essence: to get in to grad school, it's not a big deal.  To make it outside of grad school, it can be a big deal.  

Hi everyone, I am a little concerned about one aspect of my application -- my grades in math on my transcript are horrible. I did get an A in statistics with a 97 average for the class, but have never gotten better than a C+ in a calculus class (I have 2 F's on my transcript, from failing 1st semester (differential) calc, then passing it, then failing 2nd semester (integral) calc, then passing it).

I am applying with a focus in physical geography and I know that we rarely use math other than statistics, in which I did very well, but I'm concerned that my calc record could still cripple my application. My GRE Quant was 74th% which is decent but not great. What do you guys think?

You say nothing about which facet of physical geography you are interested in.  Physical is a hell of a lot different than general or social geography.  Areas like urban planning and social demographics use statistics.  If you wanna jump over to the physical side of things, you will have to use and understand both upper level Calc (differential equations, linear algebra).  You will also need to use and understand physics.  Statistical analysis is only one of many different venues of data interpretation.  Additionally, did you take a general stats class or a research specific stats class?  I ask because the two are different.  The basics are the same, but geography (or analysis) specific stats goes into more detail on how to actually analyze data while the general stats class that I took really only discussed the basics of statistics. 

What exactly are you interested in?

On the plus side, 74% on the GRE should be fine.  I had a 65% (YIKES!).  While my undergrad was focused on the physical side of geography, it was in a department that was about 70% social.

Edit: AAAANNNDDD I just realized the original post is almost two years old. 

Edited by geographyrocks