Online MPA Programs (UNC, USC, Indiana, Etc)

FloridaMPA

Has anyone here enrolled in an online format graduate program? If so, what has that experience been like compared to your brick and mortar studies?

I'm looking at online programs exclusively which limits my ability to apply to some of the top schools. I'm willing to sacrifice academic rankings for convenience and flexibility, but I do not want to sacrifice the quality of my education.

If you had to rank the online MPA/MPP programs, what would your list look like?

• 2 months later...

Indiana and USC have had great bricks and mortar MPA programs for a long time that always rank high in the US News and World Report grad rankings. Undoutably their online MPAs will be well worth it. UNC also has a good reputation. If you are still looking for other online MPAs beyond these 3 Colorado-Denver and Nebraska-Omaha are respectable.

Getting an online MPA from Indiana or USC while working in a public admin/policy related job could be of a great benefit to a student compared to only studying. You can cover the costs while still working, Moreover, an MPA is an applied, professional degree in the end. I studied for my MPA mid-career. My wife, and other friends, studied directly or shortly after their BAs. The difference? I knew why I was studying each and every course and could apply what I learned the next day at work. The downside? It will take you probably 4 years to complete the degree. But, in the end, a career is a marathon so I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally, if I had a choice between going to ANY top public admin/policy school full-time OR going to Indiana/USC part-time online while maintaining employment I would take the 2nd in a heartbeat - employers are always looking at high quality experience that is coupled with academic credentials - something schools won't be able to tell you! 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone started and/or completed their MPA online?

I just got accepted into USC's online MPA progam and am curious to know what it is like.

Edited by Howie