1st Semester Grades

process chemist

Earlier today I got an e-mail from the head of the grad advising committee saying that I was in "grade trouble". I got a B+ in my adviser's class, but a C in a class that is not related to my research or my interest, and I was the only one in the class with a C, everyone else got A's. I have been out of school since 2007 when I got my BS, and my advisor told me that this first semester was going to kick my ass, but I didn’t expect this.

I spoke with my professor, I did my assignments, I like most others in my class passed the first test, but didn't do too hot onthe last two, and I got a 90 on my final paper. The average on the last test and final were ~60%. Given, the class was an ass kicker, and the prof's English is not good. Every test was 3hrs long (all were open note and open book), and everything on the exams came from SciFinder. Literally, we would be taking a test with protecting groups/reactions/reactants that we have never seen before. And the book/notes weren't really helpful. Like literally, one of my classmates was allowed to use his undergrad book on all of the test; that is how helpful the notes and book were.

I spoke to my grad advising chair, and she said that I need to get no lower than an A- in both of the classes that I am taking next semester. Is this realistic?

One of the classes is my adviser's class, but it is only worth 2 credit hours, and I need to replace that C with a 3 hour course. I only have one option to fill that slot and it is another organic class. Our program really doesn’t offer that many classes. And the classes I could take would be classes that I have been warned against taking (both from adviser, and other grad students). Other grad students tell me that the class is easy, and that you can get an A, but it seems like I have a high mountain to climb. I know I have nobody to blame for this situation but myself, but the only C?

I am really questioning my ability to succeed in grad school now. I really feel like quitting, and just getting a regular job and doing something else with my life. I mean regular job like warehouse work, carpentry, UPS, etc. This kind of stuff really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth towards Chemistry. I had a class like this in undergrad where every undergrad in the class got their ass kicked throughout the semester, only to get a C or a D. I have known for a while now that I am losing my passion for the subject, and this really confirms it. I have thought for a while now that I should just find something else to do.

So was the class Synthesis? Sounds very much like our synthesis class that everyone in my program is really happy to pull a B in. And similarly, most of the material was found in papers not discussed in class, and there was no book. Our tests were around 4-7 hours, though. 

If it's an option, I'd see if you can just take one class each of the next two semesters. It will give you more options, and you'll only have to focus on one class in addition to research  

I wouldn't let this tint your view towards grad school too much- everyone has things that they have a much harder time with than others. You also mention that this is only tangentially related to your research. Not everyone likes or does well in synthesis. I don't really like it, and know only enough to get by with what I have to do, and I'm fine with that. There's a good chance that many of the other students in the class had an advanced synthesis class already as undergrads, and you've been away from school for a while. 

If you want to talk more specifically, feel free to PM me. 

The last two sentences stand out for me in your post. You've only finished your first semester, so you must have thought you were losing your passion before you started. What's going on there? Are you maybe viewing your opinion more negatively now than before you got the grades back? These things happen, your program believes in you (because they accepted you), so work with them to fix this. Grad school is hard work, and you can't always see the rewards clearly, but you're learning a lot!

If this really isn't what you want to do I would suggest trying for at least one more semester, and in the mean time figure out what it is that you want to do. Good luck!

Edited by Ennue