Is it possible to get into any math phd program with a low math GRE subject test score?

daveh

Is a score with <50th percentile a death sentence to ever getting into a math phd program? Are there any schools that do not require the math subject test? Is it harder to get into grad school if you wait a year (so that you can re-take the test)?

Possible, perhaps. Anything is possible. For schools that require/recommend it though, I'd say probably to very probably not. I think for most programs, the average admitted percentile for the subject exam is around 80%. 

I can't speak to math specifically, but the vast majority of programs in biology do NOT require the subject. In fact, of my peers, I am the only one who even took it. You'll have to look up programs that you want and see if they require it.

It depends how far below you're talking, and if you can view the stats of previous applicants who were admitted on the website of the programs that require it that should help. In psychology the scores on the subject test are only required by some programs (I took it since a few of mine required it) but most professors I've spoken to said they don't place much weight on it. It'd most likely be a case by case basis, so hopefully you can find some information on what kind of scores applicants from previous years had (usually posted on website).

• 2 weeks later...

My sister is in her third year as a math PhD student, and she did take the subject test, back before they revised them.  She had a perfect score on the math in the regular GRE (she said that was expected for math majors who apply for math PhDs), but I don't remember what she made on the subject test....just know she had to take it.  Sorry I can't give you more details.  Good luck to you!!!