Sending Updated Transcripts

MooMulan

Now that I've finally received my grades for the semester, I'm wondering if I can send schools updated transcripts (either official or unofficial). My GPA went from 3.62 to 3.68 with a lot of A's in sociology courses, which I hadn't taken many in prior semesters. Would this matter to schools? Would they even accept it?

I am planning to do this once my semester grades come out. I know that at least 2 of the schools I am applying to specifically ask that you send in your midyear grades or updated transcripts. Even if none of your schools specifically ask for this, I don't think it would hurt to email the graduate school admissions representative and ask whether they want them or not. Worst case scenario is that they say they do not need them. 

As I understand it, sending Fall grades is reserved for situations where there is significant information on them grad committees will be interested in (A's in grad courses, etc), or where schools specifically ask for them. I think you should certainly send your grades.

And I would just get the official transcript, scan it, and attach it to an email to the grad coordinator at each department with a two-sentence explanation that there is a dramatic change in performance not elsewhere indicated in your package.

If they don't want to include it - they can trash your email. I don't see the use in calling ahead of time to ask if they want it; it's not an unheard of thing and places no burden on them if you send without asking first.

Edited by econosocio

I agree that this is a good idea. It can really only help you!

Even though a deadline may have passed, admissions committees are only just now getting started on the first phase of sifting through applications. If you're a competitive candidate, they're going to want as much information on you as you can provide them. 

When I applied last year, I received an e-mail in early January asking me to submit an official transcript for a course I had taken years and years ago that was really only tangential to my application (They had found out about it because I had listed it on my CV). In retrospect I wish I hadn't mentioned the course it at ll. But what this indicated to me is that they were really looking over my application with a fine toothed comb (a good sign!). I had the official transcript sent, and was admitted to the program! 

Oh yeah, and don't bother asking for 'permission' to send the transcript. 

If you do this, you're likely to get the official line that 'the application deadline has passed' and 'no supplementary materials are allowed' so as to assure an 'even playing field' for all applicants, etc. 

Really, any new information that paints you in a positive light is always going to be welcomed. The worst they can do is throw it out. But (as econsocio has pointed out) they're not going to discount any new data on someone who is a competitive candidate. It can only help you. 

After the official application deadline had passed, a colleague of mine received news that her article had been accepted for publication. You can bet that she sent the news on to her top grad school picks!