Jump to content

A very minute change regarding my major....


Recommended Posts

I was planning on student teaching and graduating with a high school teaching certificate in May 2013.  Due to a miscommunication with my department of education, my prior Tuberculosis test was expired and I missed the deadline for a new one therefore postponing my student teaching till Fall 2013.  I have a competitive application and have applied to 15 schools already.  Given this I am going to just go ahead and graduate with a vanilla History degree rather than a History-Education degree and turn my Sociology minor into a Bachelors, and if i don't get into grad school I will just student teach next fall.  But... on my CV and transcripts it shows that I am a History Social Sciences education major.  Should I inform my schools about this change? Or should I just let it be? 


If i do get accepted into a PH.D program this spring I will definitely be more than happy to take that offer and skip out on the teaching certificate, it was more of a worst case scenario decision anyway.  The only thing I want to know is if I shoul contact all 15 departments to tell them about this change on my transcripts.  I don't want to look like a liar when my transcripts and CV state I will be graduating with a slightly different degree than I put down, plus I will have a double major in Sociology rather than just a minor so that might help me.


Sorry for the ramble, it was a disheartening day to say the least, don't want this affecting my grad school plans in a negative way.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

No need to contact them.  They are probably swamped at the moment -- at the time of turning in your application, everything was 100% honest and factual given the best information you had.  There isn't an obligation to let them know of the changes you mention until you get in.  At that point, I would talk to the office graduate admissions coordinator on your visit to the program to explain the discrepancy - and to see if that would affect your offer.  Trying to fix and correct everything right now for something that seems to be just a slight change in your major and a job/TA thing, doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.  I would of course suggest differently if you either were not going to graduate and get a BA degree this June, or if something serious came up, like you were being kicked out/suspended from school due to cheating/criminal conduct.  In that case, I think you would have to consider telling schools, knowing that it would sink your apps.  I doubt your admissions are going to hinge though on what you have mentioned above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.