1-2 gap year options before entering Psy D program in clinical psychology?

haglema0

Ok.I am currently a college senior. I am certain that I would like to pursue a doctoral degree in clinical psychology. I will graduate next semester with a B.A. in Psychology with honors. I think I am a moderately strong candidate currently - I have a 4.0, almost perfect GRE scores in verbal and math (will be taking psychology subject test soon), moderate research experience - 2 publications in peer review journals, a presentation at an international conference and another coming in the next semester. I would like to gain more practical and/or research experience in clinical psychology to make me a stronger candidate for graduate school and for assistantships for financial aid. I am probably pursuing the Psy D option, so research is important but less vital.

My question is, what recommendations does anybody have who is fairly knowledgeable in the field for my next 1-2 years? Research assistantships, internships, teaching, some kind of job in a mental health hospital, etc. Money isn't a huge deal. It would be nice if they were paid enough to live, but I would even consider some unpaid options if they are awesome. What kind of position could I realistically obtain that would enhance my candidate profile? What resources (i.e. databases) could I use to find something. Any other tips? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Hanglema0. I want to preface this with I have not done my own research regarding the Psy D programs, but this is the information I have gathered from casual conversations with peers who are also pursuing a Psy D and from Clinical Ph.d. graduate students who have considered that route.

If you are pursuing the Psy D option, then I think your credentials is more than enough to actually get in a program. From what I have heard, most Psy D programs are not funded (I actually haven't heard of any that are funded) and their acceptance rates are higher than most clinical psychology programs. This is good news since they are less selective, and your gpa and perfect GRE scores alone should put you on top of the list. You also seem to have ample experience given the two publications.

If you are waiting two years to get more experience, I actually do not think it is necessary as you already seem to be well qualified. If you are more practice oriented then perhaps an internship at some mental health hospital can strengthen your already strong application.

I agree that you seem to be pretty well-placed to apply, but there's also nothing wrong with taking time off. I'm in a clinical psych Ph.D. program, so I'm not as knowledgable about Psy.D.s. However, there are a few partially or fully funded programs- I don't have a list but I'm sure some googling could turn one up. I know Rutgers's program is known for funding its students well.

As for jobs, I think working in patient care (like as a psych tech at a hospital) or in a more clinically-oriented research job would be good experience. Some jobs in research labs will be mostly patient interaction, such as interviewing and assessing participants. To find jobs, connections are the most helpful- ask professors, etc. if they know anybody who might be hiring for these sorts of jobs. If that doesn't work out, look on the job pages of major universities and psych hospitals- I used US News and World Report to find the top hospitals in psychiatry. But, personal connections rather than finding online job postings are most likely to get you hired.