Your Scholar or Theorist Mt. Rushmore

Whoa! Are you me? I'd add Judith Halberstam in the place of Benjamin, personally. And the two Gayatris (Spivak, Gopinath). Oh and Lisa Lowe! 

I think we may be the same person! 

Also, hope you get into USC!! Maybe we'll be there together??

I tend to draw a lot from all sorts of thinkers, such that there's not really one I would say is one I regularly go to. Alasdair MacIntyre's After Virtue left a big impact on me as an undergrad, though. And I will say that two thinkers, more than any other, are always on my mind, in one way or another:

Robert Irwin (Seeing is Forgetting the Name of the Thing One Sees is the most transformative text I've read for school thus far)

David Hume

I think we may be the same person! 

Also, hope you get into USC!! Maybe we'll be there together??

Thank you and that would be awesome! Do you know if there's a close relationship between AmStu and English? I recall reading about how taking courses in either department is allowed.

Thank you and that would be awesome! Do you know if there's a close relationship between AmStu and English? I recall reading about how taking courses in either department is allowed.

I met an English student in his 4th or 5th year who does mostly American Studies & Ethnicity and Gender Studies. Also, with folks like Karen Tongson and Jack Halberstam listed as professors in multiple departments, It seems like it's possible to build fruitful relationships across departmental boundaries pretty easily. And the English Dept. actually requires you to have at least one professor from outside the department on your exam committee.