Decisions!

ellbell

I've decided to go to MIT. It was a tough choice between MIT and UMass, both are a great research match and are hard to choose between, but in the end I felt like I'll be happier living in Boston/Cambridge than in Northampton so location became the deciding factor for me. I've notified the department of my decision about 10 days ago and also notified everyone else I'm declining their offers (for those of you on waitlists).

I feel so good about my decision and about finally being done with the application process, I can't even begin to tell you!

Excellent! Congratulations, I somehow knew you'd go to MIT ;) (no logical body of reasoning went into that, just intuition)

Though I won't be a grad student in a Dept of Linguistics (I've declined the Northwestern offer), I will be working on language a lot. Hope to meet all you great linguists in the making, some day at some conference or something.. :P

I've decided to go to MIT ... I feel so good about my decision and about finally being done with the application process, I can't even begin to tell you!

Though I won't be a grad student in a Dept of Linguistics (I've declined the Northwestern offer), I will be working on language a lot. Hope to meet all you great linguists in the making, some day at some conference or something..

Congrats to you both! :)

Congrats to you both! :)

You too, Anyli_t! A lot of people seem to be rejecting Northwestern's offer (and I thought their entering class normally has only 1-2 people, that's the impression I got from the page that had the names of graduating students each year and there never was more than 2-3 a year, sometimes just 1, I personally wanted very much to attend NU, just didn't work out.

A lot of people seem to be rejecting Northwestern's offer (and I thought their entering class normally has only 1-2 people, that's the impression I got from the page that had the names of graduating students each year and there never was more than 2-3 a year, sometimes just 1, I personally wanted very much to attend NU, just didn't work out.

They definitely had some small cohorts - those 1-person years were during transitional faculty times, I believe - but I got the impression during the visit that they were aiming for a cohort of 5 or more this year. There were 10 accepted students at the visit, so I think the goal in general is to try to grow the program a bit.

I would've loved to attend there as well; the circumstances didn't work out for me, but I certainly expect at least a few people to accept their offer, as everyone seemed to love it! It really is a great program.

UMass it is. It is wonderful to have decided - and while I knew from the beginning that the school was on the top of my list (this was the statement of purpose that I started with despite the application deadline being significantly later than at other schools...because I actually wanted to write it), I don't regret taking the time to visit some of the other schools. Visiting gave me the chance to meet other faculty and students and gave me a few new ideas for future research. Plus, as a result of taking so many planes, I now have a couple of free tickets through Southwest, which is never a bad thing.

So, onwards!

• 2 weeks later...