Should I fly to the US for an Ivy League interview?

the_chimp

Hi all,

I applied to several US bioinformatics/computational biology PhD programs (I'm not American, nor did I study in the US). Yesterday I got an e-mail from one highly regarded university, inviting me to an interview. They have a visit weekend on February 1st. The problem is that I still haven't heard from any other university. My top two choices hold their visiting sessions on Feb 15 and 27, so I was hoping to be in the US during these two weeks.

The e-mail suggested I could also choose a Skype interview and hinted that I could come visit at a later date. I fear it would hurt my chance of acceptance if I won't come. I should mention I've met one of the professors from that university a year ago. We discussed my research and her work and she supports my acceptance.

Should I spend the time and money to fly to the US for just a few days? Maybe a Skype interview is OK in this situation? Or should I tell them I'll be arriving for a visit on a later date?

Thanks

Everyone's financial situation is different and I don't know yours, but you've come this far, why not do everything you possibly can to get an acceptance? I'd go for the interview, or at the very least do the Skype interview ASAP so you can gauge where you stand. 

Again it depends on your situation though. I realize there's a big difference between driving down from Canada and flying in from, say, Asia. 

It's a long flight that costs ~$1000...

I think I could do a Skype interview and let them know I'll be dropping in for a visit a month later.

These programs are highly competitive, so I'm afraid that in missing out on the visit (with the talks, interviews, tours and student dinner) I'll put myself in a disadvantage in the competition.

Ask about getting (partially) reimbursed from both schools. If they can provide housing and pay for part of the flight, it'll make the costs much more reasonable. Otherwise I guess it depends on your funding. It's true that in-person interviews can be better than a skype interview, but you have to ask yourself if you can afford it. Schools understand that it's expensive for international students to travel for interviews and don't hold that against them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ask about getting (partially) reimbursed from both schools.

I think it is totally reasonable to ask for financial support on this one. My flights from the West Coast to the lEast Coast during admissions season were fully covered by the program, and about as expensive as a trip from Western Europe at that time (maybe $100 less). Lodging was thrown in too.

If you can, ask for them to subsidize the flight as some have mentioned. They don't generally like to do this for international students and use Skype, etc. because it's costly; however, since they offered to invite you to come, this implies they're willing to shoulder some (or all?) of the expense. 

That said, don't do it just because its "an Ivy". There are many Ivies that aren't so hot depending on the field. Do it if you want to go to this school and it is highly regarding in your field. I'm guessing Harvard or Yale since you're also doing comp bio?