Fall 2013 EE PhD

TheThirdDim

Hi there.

You could go to the results section and check when were previous applicants to your program notified. That's what I'm doing right now to get an idea of when would I hear back from the schools I applied to.

In my case, I don't expect much to happen in January.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Has anyone heard back from faculty in analog/mixed signal circuits domain as of now? Is it too early to expect calls? Was wondering when can we expect interview calls/decisons etc

im applying to the same area, and some of the same schools as u do. have not heard anything yet. very anxious. mind sharing your profile?

Hi,

I am also a Fall 13 PhD EE aspirant with my field of interest being Signal Processing. I had an interview with a UMich prof whose name I had listen on my SoP as a faculty of interest. My interview was on 14th December. Nothing after that.

When will the EE guys start hearing back from schools?? The wait totally sucks! The other departments (read Neuroscience and BioTech) are almost done with their interview calls.

By the way, I applied to PhD programs in Multimedia Processing/Information Theory (GRE - 159+168+4, TOEFL - 115)

Hey there, has anyone heard from any school? As an applicant from a small liberal arts college, right now I feel so terrible about my chances of being admitted to any large engineering school.

So scared that I may end up getting rejected by all the schools I applied for.

I am also a Fall 2013 PhD aspirant! I have had an interview from UIUC on the 11th of January, and one from UT Austin yesterday! I am hoping for responses to start coming out soon. As for Analog and digital circuits, I have a friend from my institute (IIT Madras, India), who got an admit from Columbia like a week back. He also had an interview with Oregon State University yesterday!

I am also a Fall 2013 PhD aspirant! I have had an interview from UIUC on the 11th of January, and one from UT Austin yesterday! I am hoping for responses to start coming out soon. As for Analog and digital circuits, I have a friend from my institute (IIT Madras, India), who got an admit from Columbia like a week back. He also had an interview with Oregon State University yesterday!
Does that mean I am rejected already by Columbia and UIUC? I did one summer research at Columbia and have a recommendation letter from the professor I worked with. Sh*t, I was expecting so much from Columbia. Now I feel I will definitely get no acceptance.

Anybody has heard from GaTech and UMich yet? I also came to know that the past week was the interview week for UC Berkeley EECS. My UMich interview was back in December 14th. Don't have any idea what's going on at the moment.

Anybody has heard from GaTech and UMich yet? I also came to know that the past week was the interview week for UC Berkeley EECS. My UMich interview was back in December 14th. Don't have any idea what's going on at the moment.

Only applied for UMich, and nothing from them either.

didnt hear anything about an interview from berkeley... does it mean i have no chance now?

Not a universal law. Lots of admissions without an interview in 2012 and 2013. Having an imterview in UCB is not an offer indication in contrast with most of schools.

are u sure about the Columbia admit ... I had an interview today and the prof told me that results will be out by end of Feb.... by the way, it was hell of an interview.. really tough!

i am getting this feeling that admission to columbia is much harder compare with any other schools

Edited by name_n16

are u sure about the Columbia admit ... I had an interview today and the prof told me that results will be out by end of Feb.... by the way, it was hell of an interview.. really tough!

i am getting this feeling that admission to columbia is much harder compare with any other schools

Some professors are like that: J**ks ! That has nothing to do with schools. 

The more knowledgeable and famous the professors get the more professional they act on interviews.

I had an interview with a UCLA professor and I was like "who the hell you think you are?" I didn't call to answer exam question ! ... go find some other pet buddy :))

50% of interview is for you to evaluate the personality and trends of the professor.

Edited by Radian

I just had a first phone call with my POI. In the email, he said he would call me to answer my questions. I was like "sure." And I prepared quite a few questions.

Then today, he called and bombed me with his questions immediately. It was really tough. There were some details about my research from two years ago that I really could not recall. He kept digging, and when he heard about the research I did this summer, he even asked why my adviser would start a project like that (He seemed to find this research pointless). I totally stuttered. How the hell should I know? My adviser said it was an interesting project and I found it interesting too, so I took it. How am I supposed to know why my adviser found this project interesting? In the end, he only gave me a few minutes to answer my question and he kind of lost patience when he found out I prepared more questions than he expected.

@Radian, your comments about the professors are probably right.

Wow seems like a good bit of people had bad experiences with phone interviews this admissions season.

I had two today, one with UT Austin and the other with Michigan. I wasn't grilled with any technical questions; in fact the only question I was asked was to describe one of my research projects. Then they told me about their research, the school, asked about my mathematical background/experience, my interests, etc. Everything was lighthearted, calm and respectable, and I never once felt like I was in the middle of an interview. One of the Professor's spent about 40 consecutive minutes talking about his research and problems he's interested in.

Both of them were pretty young (Ph.D. within the last 10 years), which probably had something to do with it.

I got an email yesterday from an Columbia's POI, saying that the review was just begun and asking me that whether I have my own funding or not. I think maybe I am on the edge of being admitted.

Besides, I was phone interviewed by an POI from USC & UCLA. But still no any response.

How log do you guys receive positive responses after being interviewed?

hope I can get at least one admission. >///<

Wow seems like a good bit of people had bad experiences with phone interviews this admissions season.

I had two today, one with UT Austin and the other with Michigan. I wasn't grilled with any technical questions; in fact the only question I was asked was to describe one of my research projects. Then they told me about their research, the school, asked about my mathematical background/experience, my interests, etc. Everything was lighthearted, calm and respectable, and I never once felt like I was in the middle of an interview. One of the Professor's spent about 40 consecutive minutes talking about his research and problems he's interested in.

Both of them were pretty young (Ph.D. within the last 10 years), which probably had something to do with it.

@tarrman - Addition to Columbia, I also had interview from UCSD, Stan, UCB and UCLA. All of them were really good and were asking me details about the research I did ... with Columbia it was different ball game !!!

the Prof got into exam questions and was a pain in the butt to tackle ... it was really quite annoying ... 

any ways, i received an email from LA that they have started reviewing applications. Hope the results will be out soon!!

Exactly, that is the type of professor I would go for. We are talking about 4-5 years of our lives here. 

I got an email yesterday from an Columbia's POI, saying that the review was just begun and asking me that whether I have my own funding or not. I think maybe I am on the edge of being admitted.

Besides, I was phone interviewed by an POI from USC & UCLA. But still no any response.

How log do you guys receive positive responses after being interviewed?

hope I can get at least one admission. >///<

There are quite a few Taiwanese students in EE at Columbia. I am actually a Chinese student in the US. To me it seems that Columbia likes to admit students from Taiwan. You probably have a good chance. Good luck!

My UMich interview was very much the same as well. The first 15 minutes the professor devoted on knowing my interests and discussed on a few results from my previous research work. Then the next 45 minutes he went ballistic about the work he does and the mathematical tools/theory he tends to deal and develop simultaneously. And finally some information about how it works in UMich.. and the courtesy line of "Do you have any questions? Feel free to get in touch with me in case you have any!"

Had an interview with POI from Berkeley last week. It was 40 minutes of difficult (even irrelevant?) technical questions, he didn't talk about his research or even give me a chance to ask him questions. I am kind of no longer interested working with him even I get admitted.

The person who got an interview with UCSD, what's your area?

At UCSD, I have applied for Ckt design. Interview was focused on my past research. 

Edited by Nick PhD EE