Frustration

I'm just curious to know what I missing in my applications. For the past five years, I have applied to various programs, across the spectrum. However, every year produces negative results. This has been my "final" year attempting to break through the glass ceiling, but I feel that I will remain underneath. I've padded my vita with state, regional, and national conferences. I've attended an NEH seminar two summers ago, and this past fall, I received my first publication. Honestly, I believe my faults come from my undergraduate education and my GRE scores. Taking the GRE three times, my verbal scores did not improve. They are in the mid 500s, lower than what most schools post on their website. I have always thought that my other accomplishments and work would out weigh the scores, but obviously, I'm wrong.

What kinds of schools are you applying to? I'm beginning to resemble a broken record, but not everyone will get into top 20 or even top 50 schools. Some highly accomplished and well qualified applicants on this site were rejected from a full range of top 50 schools. Maybe unranked or at least third tier schools would give you a better chance and still get you on your way to a PhD and your ultimate research/teaching goals.

Have you taken a GRE prep course? If you think scores are the issue, then prep courses can help with that. Also, see the thread about who is the perfect applicant. Maybe some more school-specific tailoting in your SoP and/or writing sample may help. I have a lot of the same accolades on my CV with pretty high test scores (700 V, 650 Q, 6 AW, and 680 Subject), but as you can see in my sig line. . . no luck. I think that the elusive fit factor is my problem, and maybe it is yours too. Good luck!

At this point, it may be the five years out of school that's making you an unattractive candidate (I assume that you haven't been in school for the five years you've been applying to programs). Have you considered seeing if a local school will let you take a few honors or graduate seminars to show that you're up to date and prove your commitment to the field?

I graduated with my MA in 2004. After that, I taught at the university I graduated from for four years. As for schools, this is the first year I could really apply to a wide range of programs, 15 to be exact. I've applied to cultural studies programs also, since part of my focus is there. I have the gamut of schools from Columbia to WashU to Boston to University of Louisiana Lafayette and University of South Carolina. I'm still waiting to hear back from about 7 schools, so hopefully this will be the year.