2013 Business PhD Applicants

Angua

Seems quiet over here, so I thought I'd start a thread for news/updates/discussion/stressing/etc. over our business PhD applications.  I am an OB/social psych person, so I spend a lot of time in the psych forum (I started a thread for OB over there, too), but I applied to 6 business schools as well. 

Anyone else out there? :ph34r:

I am a Management/OB applicant this year, all to B-school programs. I'm glad to have all the applications done, but the wait has me going from "What if I get rejected everywhere?" to "..what If I get into both this and this?" every five minutes. 

Edited by Carnation

Hey guys/gals.  I am also a Management PhD hopeful, concentration in OB/HR or M&O depending on the program.  I applied to a total of 14 schools that have faculty in my specific areas of interest and now I am actually kind of excited to get the ball rolling since Jan 15 is the deadline for most places.

I am a Management/OB applicant this year, all to B-school programs. I'm glad to have all the applications done, but the wait has me going from "What if I get rejected everywhere?" to "..what If I get into both this and this?" every five minutes. 

I wonder the same thing, what if I actually get rejected everywhere since all of my schools are in the top 50 of UTD ranking and top 60 of A&M rankings.  It just seems that my advisers have way more confidence in my chances then I do myself.

Anyways, glad to know I'm not alone in my stressing/waiting period!

Hey guys/gals.  I am also a Management PhD hopeful, concentration in OB/HR or M&O depending on the program.!
Hello GradHopefuls. I am applying for macro OB programs with a couple of soc schools thrown in for good measure. I have become very paranoid after submitting the last app, now I keep rethinking whether I should have gone with a longer cv, or the other writing sample etc etc. It is good to see this board going.

The whole process is really excruciating, isn't it?   :unsure: 

It seems like business programs are generally on a slower schedule than social science programs, so I'm watching my psych applications ramp up with no signs of life on the business side.  Oh well.  Good luck to everyone!

The whole process is really excruciating, isn't it?   :unsure:

It seems like business programs are generally on a slower schedule than social science programs, so I'm watching my psych applications ramp up with no signs of life on the business side.  Oh well.  Good luck to everyone!

Yeah, I thought I would have an easier semester in the fall, but no dice.  The applications took way longer then I thought.

My friends in sciences are getting hits right now, but business doesn't seem to get around until mid-Feb at earliest, but I still am like hoping for some miracle something will happen.  I think it's probably how selective most programs are, like most that I see have a 1%-2% acceptance rate, but the ones that get in tend to make it all the way through.  Guess there are pros and cons to both sides of the coin.

hey Angua, just curious, your signature says you got two interviews already. Were these psych programs or business ones?

Thanks.

Psych programs. I haven't heard a thing from any business programs yet! :-)

Hi Guys,

Guess so many are waiting for resullts. I have applied to only 8 univs (too low i know :()

I have applied for PHD Marketing

UC Irvine, UF, FSU, Penn State, USC, CUNY, WashU Olin, Boston Univ.

I feel that my chances of getting through are quite low. Can you guys share views:

BSc. Physics Hons (79.3% third topper of univ) - Panjab Univ.

Master of Business Economics (61.3%) - Delhi Univ

Three years of work experience in Market Research Industry - Senior Analyst Client Consulting at Innovation practice division Nielsen

on of the three world finalists - Young researcher of the Year 2012 contest at the largest industry conference in atlanta (ESOMAR). presented my paper there.

Guest speaker - research paper presentation - India conference Market Research Industry (ESOMAR)

GRE 322 (170Q, 152V, 3.5 AWA)

LORs - 2 from professors in DU (Macro, Econometrsics and Startegy Prof) & 1 from Vice president of company.

I am very scared and am totally unsure of what will happen? can you guys temme if u think theres a chance  :(  :(  :(  :(

Hey aqua.

Honestly speaking, your profile looks like you would be getting into a niche school if possible, i.e. a lower ranking but does a specific field very well.  I'm not sure what those GRE scores translate into in terms of percentiles, but if they're above the 80th percentile, it should be okay.

The biggest factor that you can make your mark on is the LOR and the SOP.  If those are tip top, then you can have a good shot at UF, FSU, CUNY.  Boston University, UCI, Penn, WashU and USC may be a bit of a stretch, if I am reading your academic marks correctly.

The experience is important for marketing, so it may help. Keep in mind this is just my opinion from my own research into how to make my application into a competitive one.  We will see in a month how successful I was.

Best of luck!

P.S.  I'm unsure of your motivation or your age, but have you considered a Master's from the US as a first step?  Some schools like that an international students first exposure to US education not be at the doctoral level and this will give you time to seek out faculty to begin some research streams with, bulk up on any courses to show you are serious and can do the work (considering the percentiles from UG and Grad), and perhaps retake the GREs (if the scores are too low, sorry, again I'm unsure about the new scale for GREs)

Hey Sapphire,

Many thanks for your revert!

If I dont get through this time, I think I will retake GRE in May again. For my scores, Quant is 99%ile but Verbal is only 56%ile  :( I just spent 20 days to prepare for GRE exam.

Yeah you are right at 26, I can even think of Masters. In 2013, my efforts would be focussed towards Masters and PHD both. What scares me most is that my Profs will kill me if I ask for another volley of LORs from them (lol) again after few months.

I did put quite an effort for my SOP. For me it is a good piece only, but Univs shud like it.

Lets see what happens! Congrats for your 1 accepted :):)

Cheers!

Edited by aqua2013

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm also a Marketing PhD applicant. I've gotten three interviews so far (phone and Skype), and they all said they'll be making decisions within the next two weeks. Fingers crossed :(. I heard originally that PhD Marketing programs rarely give out interviews, but now I'm not sure since I've gotten a few, whether those schools are exceptions to the rule, or whether I should be worried I've only heard from 3/17 :((((

Hi, I'm also a Marketing PhD applicant. I've gotten three interviews so far (phone and Skype), and they all said they'll be making decisions within the next two weeks. Fingers crossed :(. I heard originally that PhD Marketing programs rarely give out interviews, but now I'm not sure since I've gotten a few, whether those schools are exceptions to the rule, or whether I should be worried I've only heard from 3/17 :((((

I'm 4/14 in terms of hearing back.  I get the impression that most schools make most of their moves during 2nd-3rd week of February, with some of the schools delaying until beginning of march.

It's tough out there since the schools don't run on a standard time line so we can make the appropriate decisions with full information of our options.