Applying for Assistantship/Fellowship in SoP but no direct previous experience

The prompt for one of my SoPs asks for the usual description of long term personal/professional goals, what this step in my education will do to help me achieve them, and why I'm considering the specific school. Then, just smacked on the end of the prompt, "Include in the statement a description of teaching, research or other work you have engaged in that will contribute to your qualifications for an assistantship or fellowship." 

I'm applying for Fashion Merchandising, have International Affairs BA and have experience in the retail world, though none as a supervisor/higher-up. I did not conduct any original research in undergrad, didn't publish anything, or work with a professor on any research projects. So, although I'm planning on talking about some community volunteer work, extra-curricular involvement and leadership, and my retail experience, I'm struggling to illustrate how these experiences help qualify me for an assistantship or fellowship. Also, trying not to be super long-winded in my explanation or repetitive about my experiences. Help, please!

Forgot to mention, this specific app does not ask for a resume of any kind! No work history, no extra-curriculars, no volunteer experience, no CV. Should I include this info elsewhere so that I don't waste SoP space talking about it (though there is no word/page limit on this app)

Edited by thecambam