Emails from POIs

kokoschka

Hi everyone. This is a strange situation that I already posted to the Art History board, but it's not field specific, and I could use broader input... hope no one minds the repost!

I hope someone can give me some advice on a fairly unusual situation. I applied to PhD programs in Art History in LA and in NYC, where I am currently based. My applications were geographically specific because I am in a band that has achieved a fair amount of success over the past two years. By no means mainstream top 40, but a familiar name in certain circles (read: among Brooklyn 20-somethings). I did not mention the band anywhere on my application, because I thought it would be a nonissue, as we only tour during the summer, and as I have so far been able to balance school with my other commitments. Since I started my apps and made this decision, we've had some more commercial success, and one song in particular has been featured on a few TV shows, which has raised our overall profile and standing in Google search results. These past few days, I've received emails from POIs asking if I am the same XYZ (my name is uncommon) from the band XYZ. I'm guessing they Googled me? It seems unlikely that they recognized my name.

So, what do I do? I obviously can't lie, and don't want to. But I want to make it clear that I am capable and committed to the PhD track. Does this put me at an advantage or a disadvantage? Help! Panicked, and need to reply to these emails sooner than later...

Edited by kokoschka

I agree with the poster above. Just be completely honest and open. They've already found you; you can't really help that anymore. Thank them for their interest and explain your situation in as much detail as you have provided here. Good luck!

Edited by suzzzanna

People who apply to PhD programs have fairly similar academic profiles--for the most part: high GPA's, reasonable GRE scores, good recommendation letters, ect. Suppose you are up against an equally qualified applicant (numerically, that is). This might just be the thing to set you apart.

Tell them :) and good luck!