Few questions about

XDzard

I'm currently a sophomore majoring in Statistics. I've been looking at grad schools, and I do have a question. If I just want to end up in industry, a masters would suffice, correct? And does where I get my masters matter when I'm looking for jobs?

Also, a few questions on coursework. I have the choice of majoring in general statistics, or applied statistics. General statistics includes some upper div math courses, while for applied statistics, I have the choice of taking 5 upper div courses in a related field, such as econ or bio. I'm not sure which route I want to take. Which would be the most beneficial, looking down the road to the future? How would each affect me in the future?

I'm currently a sophomore majoring in Statistics. I've been looking at grad schools, and I do have a question. If I just want to end up in industry, a masters would suffice, correct? And does where I get my masters matter when I'm looking for jobs?

Also, a few questions on coursework. I have the choice of majoring in general statistics, or applied statistics. General statistics includes some upper div math courses, while for applied statistics, I have the choice of taking 5 upper div courses in a related field, such as econ or bio. I'm not sure which route I want to take. Which would be the most beneficial, looking down the road to the future? How would each affect me in the future?

I'm not an expert, but I don't think you can go wrong with either the General or Applied track. Regarding where you get your masters, I heard that it doesn't matter so much if you want to get a job (at least in Biostats where I'm applying to) but it matters a lot if you are considering a PhD.

Jobs that you will get with a masters are primarily programming oriented, so make sure you focus on learning languages like SAS and R if you head down that path. If you do a PhD, it's generally equivalent to something like a masters + 5 years of work experience in terms of things like pay, but you have more room for advancement and handle more management/research work than masters holders.

Good luck!