Switching Topics and Notifying Your Advisor About It

Lola Wants

I am currently in a Master's program and at the beginning of the program I discussed my topical interests with my advisor. My interests happened to be subjects that my advisor received their Ph.D. in and I expressed that I wanted to get a Ph.D. in this same topic. My advisor told me that I would be introduced to scholars in this field (this hasn't occurred yet) and given guidance on my journey of applying for the Ph.D. This person is on sabbatical for the school year and we have not spoken until recently. However, we scheduled a meeting to catch up on our respective endeavors. I am anxious and nervous about revealing that my subject interests have changed and I no longer want to do graduate work on the topic we initially discussed. I'm wondering how I can convey my change in interests without looking like a flip flop or offending my advisor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Lola Wants

It really depends on the adviser and your dynamic. Most advisers will understand that projects evolve and interests change. I know mine did radically in the middle of my masters. I was still within my subfield, but the subjects are night and day. You should realize that most professors would be disturbed if your interests didn't change.

Assuming your topic is still within the subfield of the adviser, I would wait until your next available meeting with them and explain how your interest evolved. If they throw a fit... that's their problem not yours.

Be sensitive to their areas of expertise. You would do well if you can draw connections between your new topic and their research. Sometimes (as human beings) they will forget the big picture and instead become obsessed with what they CAN'T do. Focus on what they CAN do and keep them right there. Once you've given them some reassurance and sense of confidence, they'll be open to your new topic and breathe.

NEN is right- focus on "evolution" of your ideas. :)