Flying out on a later date?

glia

I've received several interviews on the west coast (currently residing on the east coast) and some schools have you book your own flight, but they suggest dates for departure and arrival. If, for instance, the official interview dates are Thurs-Fri, would it be inappropriate to book the departure flight for Sunday instead of Saturday. I would definitely pay for one night's hotel stay out of pocket. It just sounds nice to have one free day to explore a city I might potentially be spending the next 5-6 years in. Has anyone done this before? Would it be rude to ask?

I know people who have done this and it hasn't been a problem...they usually understand wanting to see more of the city, it just depends how simple it is for you to cover the difference (ie its probably easier to book your own hotel the extra night) and if the flight isnt more expensive to leave the next day.

As for the flight being more/less expensive to leave the next day, I don't even think they will check that. So don't stress about that part either.

For the extra hotel night, you should mention that you are willing to pay but since most schools/departments have a preferred rate with the hotels that they lodge their visitors, you should let the department know your plan to stay an extra night. They might be able to get your their preferred rate for that extra night too!

Sometimes schools will even pay for the extra night. In 2010, for my MSc programs, one place agreed to pay for 2 extra nights of hotel to see the city/find-potential-places-to-live but they would only provide a meal per-diem for the one day I was visiting the department (it was great!). Just tell them your plans, and offer to pay for the extra expenses and you might get lucky. 

Edited by TakeruK