2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

Hello All:

Just got the reject from MIT, and am despairing a bit. 

UG GPA: 3.6 (film major; philosophy, math minor). Law GPA: 3.6 (magna cum laude). GRE: 170/166/5.5

Both UG and Law School are reasonably well ranked. UG philosophy grades not stellar (even mix of A's and B's). Philosophy of law grades from Law School all A's.

Recommendations: two well-known philosophers of law at Law School and an economist (well known in the field of law and economics, but maybe not so much in philosophy).

Publications: Have several publications in law and economics, and a presentation at a major economics conference. Am coauthoring a book with the economist on the philosophical foundations of law and economics for Cambridge University Press as part of a series on philosophy of law. 

AoI: Philosophy of Law, Logic (semantic and set theoretic paradoxes).

Applied: NYU, Rutgers, Oxford, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Mich, Columbia, UCLA.

Mostly, I'm concerned about the grades. Assuming recommendations and WS are fine, anyone think I'm in for a disappointing application cycle? I realize my schools are extremely competitive, but I've got an Econ backup, so there was no sense in applying to "backup" schools. The book helps, but it's forthcoming (we're still writing it), so I'm not sure how much stock adcoms will put in that. Still, major university press. I just don't know what to expect, and I'm freaking out a bit

I second the poster who said that applicants like ourselves won't be able to diagnose your chances well since we're not in a position to know what is "good enough" to get seriously considered for an acceptance. Even if we were armed with your SoP, writing sample, and letters of recommendation, I still don't think that would be enough for us to gauge your chances at any of those (really competitive!) programs. At least that's what I concluded from my own experience this season: I have really good stats and one of my letter writers used to be department chair at Brown. Still, I wasn't admitted there, though I've been admitted to a top 5 program.   

But as far as your grades go, I've seen people get admitted with scores comparable to yours and in some rare cases, even with lower scores. Good luck to you!

Are you guys applying to begin Fall 2013?

I am, yes.  Or, well, I was.  Two rejections, one waitlisted with a note that I'm unlikely to get an offer, and still waiting on Toronto, so it looks like the season is pretty much over for me.

For those who have not heard from Toronto, does your application status say "under review" or "decision made"?

Mine says 'Under Review.'

With implied rejections from Cornell, USC, and Toronto in the last two days, my large list of 13 schools has been reduced to a more meager 7. 

Anyone who applied to UCSB: I received a solicited email from them stating that I would hear about their decision 'in the next two months.' Yes, two months. 

Still waiting for Maryland, Boston University, UMass Amherst, UCSB, Ohio, Brandeis, and CUNY.

I am, yes.  Or, well, I was.  Two rejections, one waitlisted with a note that I'm unlikely to get an offer, and still waiting on Toronto, so it looks like the season is pretty much over for me.

I thought the deadline was in January. My first choice is Toronto, although I've made the decision to apply quite late (apparently). Has everyone applied early or am I confused?

I thought the deadline was in January. My first choice is Toronto, although I've made the decision to apply quite late (apparently). Has everyone applied early or am I confused?

Sorry, I was unclear.  I don't think that I am likely to get in to Toronto, which is why I think my chances of an admit this year are extremely low (unless everybody else where I am waitlisted gets accepted into programs they prefer...I am sending all the good vibes out for them...)

Why do you think you're rejection from Toronto? Also, not sure why you keep emailing schools. They get annoyed.

Well, I was assuming a rejection because of the acceptances. Maybe I spoke too soon.

And you're probably right about the emails; I think I've been letting my anxiety get the best of my judgment. 

Well, I was assuming a rejection because of the acceptances. Maybe I spoke too soon.

And you're probably right about the emails; I think I've been letting my anxiety get the best of my judgment. 

Whether or not the emails are annoying, they do drive up and/or justify high application fees from the perspective of the institutions. That said, I can certainly understand your sentiments!

This is unbelievably depressing. I guess having a perfect 4.3/4.3 grad GPA from a Master's program, almost all A+s in philosophy from undergrad, an almost publication, conference presentation experience including an international professional philosophy conference... count for nothing.

This is unbelievably depressing. I guess having a perfect 4.3/4.3 grad GPA from a Master's program, almost all A+s in philosophy from undergrad, an almost publication, conference presentation experience including an international professional philosophy conference... count for nothing.

If three seasons of applying myself and reading this forum are any indication then the sole factor is luck. I've seen lesser applications make the cut of stronger, and the strongest not make it anywhere.

Sadly, one can only afford so many applications. Would that we could just apply to simply everywhere.

I just checked and my Toronto still says under review also. If it is anything like last year, and acceptances have already gone out, then the still under reviews are probably those being paired down for the wait-list

Thanks for the hope :)

(I have been indulging in wild ideas that they could just be spreading acceptances out over a couple of days...like, maybe ancient philosophy has finalised its choices, but political philosophy is being slow...)

Edited by Impysh

Is there anyone else who still hasn't gotten a response from Colorado, despite the rash of rejections posted today? The online app still says that my application is being reviews. I also emailed the DGS about my application a while back, but got no response. Are they just slow, or is there something up with my application?

I second the poster who said that applicants like ourselves won't be able to diagnose your chances well since we're not in a position to know what is "good enough" to get seriously considered for an acceptance. Even if we were armed with your SoP, writing sample, and letters of recommendation, I still don't think that would be enough for us to gauge your chances at any of those (really competitive!) programs. At least that's what I concluded from my own experience this season: I have really good stats and one of my letter writers used to be department chair at Brown. Still, I wasn't admitted there, though I've been admitted to a top 5 program.   

Wow. That's nuts. But congrats on the other top 5. 

I guess what I was hoping for was: the GRE and publications offset the grades, and it'll be down to your LoRs and WS. What I was fearing was: grades not good enough to make it past the first hurdle. Obviously, it's all speculation. Not sure why people have such a hard time playing the guessing game. 

But as far as your grades go, I've seen people get admitted with scores comparable to yours and in some rare cases, even with lower scores. Good luck to you!

Yeah, but even 3.6 is rare, no? In other news, it looks like Stanford has released a torrent of rejections today. Condolences to those affected.

Congrats to all the Memphis admits.

I am jealous of you!

I was accepted to the MA program, and depending on what else I hear it may be an option. The downside; no funding whatsoever as of yet. I have no idea how I would pay for it.

Accepted to Missouri.  Waiting on funding decision.

Accepted to Memphis.  Waitlisted for funding.

I am less excited and more annoyed.  My anxiety level would have been lower had I not heard anything from them until a final decision was made.  What kind of sick joke is "accepted" but "waitlisted for funding" anyway?  What a tease.  Another month and a half refreshing my e-mail every half hour if not every 5 minutes.  Better than nothing I guess.

3.7 ug, 3.9 g, 168/155/5.5, no-rep BA and MA.

Edited by LeftInLimbo

So...did anyone else apply to New Mexico? If so, have you gotten a really strange and confusing letter in the mail from them? I think I just got Vanderbilted...

in order to be vanderbilted everybody else that applied would have to be on the 'second-tier' wait list along with you. sounds like you might actually have been wait listed. 

Are you guys applying to begin Fall 2013?

Yes. Most PhD apps were due in Jan if not December. Some MA programs are still taking admissions or have rolling deadlines. Everyone here is discussing/posting admissions decisions as they are doled out.

Contradiction: UCSB wtf?! That's bananas. I am waiting on a few of the same schools as you, and my list is dwindling as well. 

About Loyola, I spoke too soon before. My rejection letter was in the mail as I was complaining about not getting anything hahahah.

kelizabeth as you have noted, stats don't count for everything in this game. Pedigree, WS and LoR and so many random factors can sink your application if it is otherwise desirable, and float it if not. My impression is that sometimes pedigree is scrutinized even more for those who have an MA under their belt. I seriously had a professor tell me straight up that a recommendation from a very well-established Prof in another specialty (of philosophy) could lower my chances at some schools, simply because the adcom doesn't like him, despite the letter being laudatory and my having others from established profs within my specialty. 

Plus, I'm guessing you're a female, which unfortunately can also have an adverse affect (granted it may not necessarily be a conscious decision). Which is why I think applications should be assigned #'s and names should be excluded while being evaluated. That said, I hope (and think) you will get into a program of your choosing! There's still over a month left before postseason starts!