2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

Hey, cool.  I just remembered that there are only 28 days in February.  So that means tomorrow is March.  That is totally like 2 less days we will spend waiting, compared to if this had been another month.  I mean, imagine if it was a leap year.  Erm...something to be thankful for, right folks?

True! Cue massive rejection list from places like Princeton and Michigan Ann Arbor. If I get into Princeton, I will buy a beer for every depressed applicant on this forum.

Considering an application fee is somewhere between 50 and 100 dollars, which is a lot of money for some people (don't worry Mom, I'll pay you back once I publish that best-seller), I don't think it is out of line for an applicant to expect an e-mail response or two. 

(Although I imagine the people tasked with responding to these e-mail requests aren't the ones responsible for the discrepancy between application fee cost and the staff made available to process them, so I guess we can spread the sympathy around.)

I don't know. I've seen first hand what kind of work these people do--know how we're all at our wits' end? Yeah, well multiply your anxiety by two hundred people. The guy at our office read me (anonymously, of course!) just a small sample of the kinds of e-mails they get every day: "Can you change my file?  What if this part of my application is late? Why do you still have a paper application; it's ridiculous! I only have two letters of recommendation--how will that hurt my chances?" 

Individually, these kinds of requests/questions/etc. wouldn't be a big deal. But those folks get hundreds and hundreds of those emails. When do you think you'll make a decision? Have you made a decision? Can you tell me your decision? 

So I understand why they said "shame on you"; you turned in your application--once it's in, you're locked and loaded. They know you might go to conferences and write interesting papers and meet interesting people between December and April--but for the sake of paperwork, what's done is done. 

Stop being considerate and trying to rationally examine other perspectives. Be closed minded damnit.

Also: Goodbye Cornell and Texas. You're missing out. Had your chance to send me an offer and ya both blew it.

The 'guy in your office' should go cry about it (and it seems he already has). Adcoms complainin bout gettin too many emails--as if it wasn't their job to handle such requests from students. Lazy ass bitches

He wasn't necessarily complaining. And you're right--it is their job to handle such requests. But it's not their job to do whatever you want. So if you need something changed or demand for them to make an exception for you, remember that they're not obligated to do you a favor.

And besides, there was a fucking deadline. So I'm not sure if they even have to handle your request at all. And pestering them about whether they are in the decision making process really isn't going to make it any faster.

What a child.

Considering an application fee is somewhere between 50 and 100 dollars, which is a lot of money for some people (don't worry Mom, I'll pay you back once I publish that best-seller), I don't think it is out of line for an applicant to expect an e-mail response or two. 

(Although I imagine the people tasked with responding to these e-mail requests aren't the ones responsible for the discrepancy between application fee cost and the staff made available to process them, so I guess we can spread the sympathy around.)

Yeah, I can't really speak to those programs--my school doesn't charge an application fee. Professors do adcom work in their spare time (of which they have little), and then a few assistants in the office process all the paperwork and keep track of applicant files.

But if the school is getting 100 bucks per applicant? That might be another story. In all honesty, though, most of the schools I applied to have been pretty nice and responsive. 

I think it's a bit unreasonable to ask when decisions will be made, if they have been made, or where you stand on it. The process is daunting and takes a lot of time and energy out of faculty, so of course they might be annoyed by these questions. But I agree that when you spend $70-125 applying to a school plus $25 per school to send your GRE scores, you have a bit of a right to inquiries. For example, if you get a paper accepted for publication or win a huge doctoral scholarship, those sorts of things might actually be useful to admissions committees.

I got accepted at UIC. I can't believe it. I'm in shock. I was so sure that this season is over for me. Would have to submit my master's thesis this evening but can't work on it anymore. I guess it doesn't matter that much anymore anyway. IN SHOCK!!!

Congratulations, recent posters! You've given me an empathetic hit of unwarranted optimism. 

Now, echoing the post above, I wish that whoever received the Villanova acceptance could share some information . . . 

Also - I'd love to hear from the other Temple admits. My email query about funding has gone unanswered for more than a week. It seems that in the past they've offered many unfunded positions. 

Adcoms complainin bout gettin too many emails--as if it wasn't their job to handle such requests from students. Lazy ass bitches

Wow. First, I doubt that the vast majority of adcoms/secretaries for adcoms are "lazy ass bitches." Second, sure, the secretary has a responsbility to make sure that all of your application materials are received and properly stored before the deadline. But after that deadline passes, whatever he or she does for your application is out of good will, not from any professional obligation to you.

But it's not their job to do whatever you want. So if you need something changed or demand for them to make an exception for you, remember that they're not obligated to do you a favor.

Yup.

I got accepted at UIC. I can't believe it. I'm in shock. I was so sure that this season is over for me. Would have to submit my master's thesis this evening but can't work on it anymore. I guess it doesn't matter that much anymore anyway. IN SHOCK!!!

A fellow UIC admittee! Do you think it is likely you'll go there? I'm weighing my UIC admission with a couple others.

A fellow UIC admittee! Do you think it is likely you'll go there? I'm weighing my UIC admission with a couple others.

Hey! Well, the way it looks at the moment, I don't have that many options to weigh it with :-). I would have a nice option in Germany, but hey - it won't give me 5 years of funding! Europe is different. Also, I LOVE the city of Chicago. Unless a really good offer comes in (Columbia or UCLA), I will accept it.

Which schools are you weighing it with?

Congratulations, recent posters! You've given me an empathetic hit of unwarranted optimism. 

Now, echoing the post above, I wish that whoever received the Villanova acceptance could share some information . . . 

Also - I'd love to hear from the other Temple admits. My email query about funding has gone unanswered for more than a week. It seems that in the past they've offered many unfunded positions. 

Apparently the department was having its final adcom meeting today and we should know of their decisions in 'the next couple of weeks'. ugh

Edited by anon530

Yeah, I can't really speak to those programs--my school doesn't charge an application fee. Professors do adcom work in their spare time (of which they have little), and then a few assistants in the office process all the paperwork and keep track of applicant files.

But if the school is getting 100 bucks per applicant? That might be another story. In all honesty, though, most of the schools I applied to have been pretty nice and responsive.

I also wonder who gets the money. The department? The graduate school? The university in general? It's definitely not going to that student assistant in the philosophy office who is making about minimum wage. The professors who are working overtime on the admissions committee aren't getting a cut.

Hey! Well, the way it looks at the moment, I don't have that many options to weigh it with :-). I would have a nice option in Germany, but hey - it won't give me 5 years of funding! Europe is different. Also, I LOVE the city of Chicago. Unless a really good offer comes in (Columbia or UCLA), I will accept it.

Which schools are you weighing it with?

PM sent

Does anyone have a sense of what the chances of wait-listers actually is?  I understand that there must be some differences in the length of wait lists by department, and of course there are the human variables of who actually decines offers or not.  But, in general, what is a typical wait-list size, and how many of those folks can expect to win an acceptance?  Any information that can shed light on the secret workings of wait-lists would be helpful.

So far I haven't been particularly excited about learning I'm on a waitlist.  I mean, before they told me anything I thought I might get into the program or I might not, and after they told me I was on the wait list, I am still in the position of "maybe getting in or maybe not getting in."  In fact, I find the additional tease-factor to be even more anxiety provoking.

Oh, okay - cool. That's good news, actually, as there was an alleged acceptance. 

my sense is that the acceptance was legit and the first round of offers have been made, but the wait list has yet to be finalized. i can't say for sure though.