Bad form to mention a Scholar at another university in an SOP?

I was wondering if anyone had any particular thoughts on this question. For my SOP, I am writing about my interest in portraiture (in relation to women's studies). Would it be in bad form to mention a scholar's work that has generated my interest in studying portraiture and the female model if that scholar is a professor at another University? She is at the forefront of research in this particular field, and indeed a professor with whom I'd be interested in working in the future, but the university at which she teaches only offers PhDs, not MAs, and I'm only applying to MA programs right now. I don't necessarily need to include her, but I studied her work extensively in writing my thesis, which led me to my field of interest.

Thanks in advance!

I think it is okay to mention her, but in a wiser way. You can say that she is an insipiring scholar when you are composing your thesis. and give reasons. But do not talk too much on that. And you should spend more space talking about the scholars in the school you are applying to, explaining what their focuses are and how they might influence your development in your field of interest.

I personally would not mention another scholar at a different U.  The first thought that's going to come to the adcom's mind is "if he/she likes this scholar so much, he/she is probably their first choice of a POI."  When reading your SOP, the university you're applying to should feel like they are your first choice...  Otherwise, you haven't demonstrated a good "fit" with that university and its scholars...

If the scholar was influential to your intellectual development, I would strongly suggest you mention her research in detail.  Admissions committees will be impressed that you are current on the most important on-going research in your field of specialization.  Anyone who states that you shouldn't mention scholars by name is ignorant.

I think the focus should be on your own work, not on a description of other people's work. If your work is inspired by, or based on, the work of a scholar who is not at the school you're applying to, that's perfectly fine -- you might want to make sure that people there are not secret (or not-secret) haters of this person or theory, but I assume you chose your programs wisely so this is not a problem. I think it makes more sense to talk about being inspired by such-and-such theory or working within such-and-such framework than to mention a person by name, unless there is good reason to talk about the person rather than the research. If there is, I don't see why anyone should be offended or concerned that you mention an influential person who teaches at a different school -- but under most circumstances I think you want to talk about the research and not the researcher. 

I think if you mention the other scholar, your SOP might beg the question: So why aren't you applying to work with him/her? (If they are still alive and teaching). 

It somehow implies that the school you are applying to is interesting, but perhaps not your 1st choice (and simultaneously that the school your scholarly muse works at is your REAL first choice). 

Edited by HeadCold