How best to approach a "Recruitment Weekend"?

Marisari

Hi Cafe-goers!

First of all, many thanks to those of you who contributed advice on interview-related threads.  I've found it all to be so helpful thus far!  My current question to you wise, lovely people is about 'recruitment weekends'.  I am very excited to be going to UBC's (Feb 8th-9th), but I'm not sure what exactly it is.  Have I been informally accepted?  Am I still being evaluated and considered for acceptance?  I want to be able to make the most out of this opportunity and avoid any faux pas (faux pases?), so any advice or suggestions (general or specific) about how to approach this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what would be a tactful way of asking graduate students a potentially touchy question (like how well they get along with their advisors, if their program treats them well, if they can afford to live somewhat comfortably, if they like the city they live in, if they're happy)?  I know it's important to learn as much as possible from them, but I can't figure out a way to phrase certain questions without seeming awkward or even rude.  I keep having horrible visions of myself getting nervous and blurting out poorly chosen Words of Doom.

Thanks in advance!  :)

An interview is just that: an interview.

As far as talking to grad students: will you be staying with a student over that weekend? If so, that's a good time to ask some questions; if not, there may be time during the interview weekend specifically designated as time for current students to talk with the interview group. Remember, they were in the same place you are! They probably had many of the same questions.

Especially as a New Yorker, I tend to speak quickly. Some of the best advice I received was to think for a good three seconds (an eternity!) before I asked a question or responded to one.

Edited by Lisa44201

Although you might still be in competition with the other students who are visiting, I'd say to keep a conscious effort to not allow this fact to affect how you interact with the other visiting students! If you attend the school, then it's likely many of them will be your future classmates. 

A lot of times, there will be a period where you either sit down one-on-one with a grad student (like a prof interview but with a student), or be in a group of only students. Usually, it's the students that take you out to lunch, without faculty present. During this time, most students will remember visiting as well and they might even prompt you to ask them questions you really want to know the answer to!

• 3 weeks later...