Sniffing out a poor letter of rec?

Lapin

First, I asked if my professors were willing to write strong LORs well in advance of their due date (absolutely crucial, as noted above). Second, if they agreed, I provided a short list of 'academic highlights' that they could speak toward in their letter. For instance, I listed awards/scholarships, advanced/graduate courses, extracurricular activities, service to the discipline/department, etc. Third, I offered to provide a recent writing sample (if requested) to help jog their memory (RE: writing ability). Fourth, I offered each of them a way out. I said if they do not feel comfortable writing a LOR, I would accept their decision without further explanation.

Most seemed quite impressed, which leads me to believe that if you approach this in a responsible and professional way, you will definitely leave a lasting (positive) impression!

This is excellent advice, most importantly - offer the people you ask a way out. It's important to approach the process in a professional manner. Contact potential recommenders well ahead of the deadline and ask for a strong LOR. Let them know that if they are unable to write you a letter, for whatever reason, you will accept their decision as final.

Come prepared with a kit for each letter writer, containing everything you want your letter writer to know about you: a transcript, CV including honors, etc. Be prepared to offer a picture to help them remember you, and to offer a sample of the work you did for their course. Provide your letter writers with a list of the schools you are applying to complete with (a) the letter submission deadline (B) info on letter submission - if it's online, provide the link or information on when to expect it if your recommender will only get the prompt after you submit your app; if it's paper, provide the filled-out forms and the envelopes as required © a link to each department's website and a summary of its strengths (why it's right for you). All of this is designed to make your writer's job as easy as possible. They are liable to use the info you gave them so you know you are getting a good letter.

Lastly, ask your letter writers if they would like periodic reminders and how would it be best to remain in contact with them so you can provide more information if it becomes needed later on. Many profs will postpone the letter writing to the last minute even if you gave them 3 months to do it in, and you really don't want to participate in next year's "it's past the submission deadline and my letter writer is MIA" thread.

Professors seem quite impressed by students who do this, so you will be likelier to get a stellar rec.

By waiving your right to do so all you're really doing is perpetuating the non-opaque process of admissions which is really the last bastion of the star chamber. Fight the power.

I think that it's vital that professors feel free to give their honest opinion of students without fearing their reactions. But you are totally within your rights in refusing to waive your right to read your letters.

I got slammed when I wrote this in response to another post asking the same question. But I asked all of my recommenders to provide me with a copy of the letter they wrote on my behalf and told them if they didn't feel comfortable doing so I'd find someone else. All of them agreed with no hesitation.

I spent too much time and effort applying to grad school for it to be screwed up by a vengeful former professor or adviser. I've heard of recommenders who will tell a student to their face how much they like them and respect them and how happy they would be to provide a recommendation letter for them and then turn around and write a letter savaging the student. As a matter of fact I know someone on an admissions committee who specifically mentioned a recommender who called a student "lazy" and said their work was of "poor quality." I don't know why someone would do that but it happens, a lot more than people think it does.

I have a right to know what people are saying about me. Businesses cannot give anonymous recommendations and risk being sued if they provide negative ones. I don't know why academia should be any different.

I agree with this post. If you can afford to take the risk and ask for the copy then do it. Prospective students may not like to hear it, but graduate school is becoming more and more like a business. Sometimes professors are dishonest and will give you a bad recommendation. You have to protect yourself, and if you can do it tactfully and successfully then do so.

The keyword being *if* not everyone has the luxury to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this thread I am never going to waive my right to see the recommendation again.

And I will make sure I will open an envelope and look at the letter if I have the opportunity. Evil: maybe, unethical: almost, but plain beautiful.

Technology gives us new ways to do things but there are always people who will constantly push the limit and in turn make the rules hard for everyone. You can choose to be an angel and try to make the world a better place or just take advantage of the opportunity. :D / :evil:

PS: to pchem, I dont mean to say u are evil though, u had right brain at the right time. I think that was smart.

After reading this thread I am never going to waive my right to see the recommendation again.

And I will make sure I will open an envelope and look at the letter if I have the opportunity. Evil: maybe, unethical: almost, but plain beautiful.

Technology gives us new ways to do things but there are always people who will constantly push the limit and in turn make the rules hard for everyone. You can choose to be an angel and try to make the world a better place or just take advantage of the opportunity. :D / :evil:

PS: to pchem, I dont mean to say u are evil though, u had right brain at the right time. I think that was smart.

So what is your advice to future applicants? Don't play by the rules?

While you are opening up confidential LORs, why not also make up some extra-curricular activities to put on your CV? You know the selection committee will never confirm whether or not you performed them. You types are truly pathetic.

Good idea, never thought about that one.

(does an activity give u a serious boost, cmon be serious)

I can understand why you are calling me pathetic. Thanks to your advice, and I will consider it before i do something unethical.

I would like to live the fairy tale you are living.

Good idea, never thought about that one.

(does an activity give u a serious boost, cmon be serious)

I can understand why you are calling me pathetic. Thanks to your advice, and I will consider it before i do something unethical.

I would like to live the fairy tale you are living.

You best be trolling, tough guy.