Any Swedes Out There? Gather Around for a Fika!

I've noticed that there are some other fellow Swedes out there (like cherub) applying in this cycle to graduate school (both in the U.S.,Sweden and other places).

Did everything go well with your applications? Anxious?

For the foreigners out there. This is "fika", via Wikipedia:

Fika is both a Swedish verb and noun (pronounced "fee-ka") that roughly means "to drink coffee/tea/squash," usually accompanied by something sweet

Edited by Lemeard

Anxious is not the word anymore. I'm considering a vacation to Maine as to be located in the same time-zones...   Am starting to regret that I did not apply for schools with early admissions, so that I would have heard things by now (Minnesota?!).  

A thing I was wondering - did anyone skip applying to schools requiring things to be sent by snail-mail ? I did and do not regret it at all. 

I know that another sociologist in my program (Demography/Sociology at SU) is applying to sociology programs this year as well so I think there are more of us around.  

At least I'm in the US right now, so no time zone worries here!

Some of my programs required things to be sent by snail mail (undergraduate transcript from Luleå). I was really worried around the deadlines that it wouldn't make it to them in time for consideration, but all of the schools ended up receiving a copy.

I completely skipped applying to some programs that require students to send a substantial amount of documents by snail mail. To hell with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Grattis! Funded?

Hope you get more good news. What would be your first choice?

Yeah, funded. 

I've been asking around and reading things about UIUC in my discipline/subfield, and it sounds like a great place to go from what I've heard so far.

My first choice would probably be Yale/Michigan, but I'm not really counting on either. It'd be a hard choice between University of Pennsylvania and UIUC though.

Where are you at?

Yeah, funded. 

I've been asking around and reading things about UIUC in my discipline/subfield, and it sounds like a great place to go from what I've heard so far.

My first choice would probably be Yale/Michigan, but I'm not really counting on either. It'd be a hard choice between University of Pennsylvania and UIUC though.

Where are you at?

I'm currently at Minnesota, finishing up a masters. Contemplating doing a PhD somewhere else in the US, starting next year.

Where in Sweden are you all applying to?  What programs, etc.?  I'm quite nervous because applying to Swedish schools is such a different process from in the U.S. (in some respects easier, in some respects quite daunting).  I should hopefully hear from the Swedish programs at the same time as the one U.S. school I applied to and can make a decision whether I'm going back to California or onwards to an adventure in Sweden! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Where in Sweden are you all applying to?  What programs, etc.?  I'm quite nervous because applying to Swedish schools is such a different process from in the U.S. (in some respects easier, in some respects quite daunting).  I should hopefully hear from the Swedish programs at the same time as the one U.S. school I applied to and can make a decision whether I'm going back to California or onwards to an adventure in Sweden! :D

Most of us are Swedes :)  I actually work 1 floor up from the CREOLE program so if you get accepted - drop us a line and I can treat you to an introductory coffee.   I was so sure that all MA programs followed the basic Swedish schedule: decisions by July? 

Most of us are Swedes :)  I actually work 1 floor up from the CREOLE program so if you get accepted - drop us a line and I can treat you to an introductory coffee.   I was so sure that all MA programs followed the basic Swedish schedule: decisions by July? 

well then, HEJ HEJ! :D

The master's schedule for the programs I've applied to says that decisions will be made by the end of March for first notification then second notification sometime in April/May after those who have made decisions by the April 8th deadline have done so.  The one U.S. program I applied to is also *hopefully* sending out decisions by the end of March but well... it's a California state school prone to breaking deadlines lol

Stender: I wish you the best of luck in getting into a good Swedish program! I must say that the difference, especially when it comes to weather, seems huge between San Jose and Sweden.

Stender: I wish you the best of luck in getting into a good Swedish program! I must say that the difference, especially when it comes to weather, seems huge between San Jose and Sweden.

Tack Lemeard :)

And tell me about it!   I didn't realize how spoiled I was to live in gorgeous temperate weather all year-round (having been born and raised in San Jose)... then I went to Sweden (during winter I might add) and one of the days it was so cold my face and teeth hurt.  Oh but Sweden was just such a cool country.  I enjoyed every minute of being there.

• 4 weeks later...

Admitted to Uppsala University for Cultural Anthropology! It was my first choice :)

Congratulations. Great city and great surroundings. I'm sure you will enjoy it there.