Questions about Psychology Application

olly_oxen

I applied to grad schools last semester, I am still a full time undergraduate student. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear back from the programs. My questions are these:

1) Does applying to grad school right out of undergrad hurt (or help?) my chances of getting in?

2) If I choose to underload (take fewer than 12 credit hours) this semester, will that look bad to the schools I have applied to?

3) When should I expect to hear back from the programs I have applied to?

Thanks!!

1). Neutral. If you were to take a year off, it would depend on what you did with it (i.e., research in a lab in your field, etc.); otherwise, doesn't matter, I don't think.

2). If you have a good reason for underloading, I don't think it'll be a problem, provided you can explain \ have explained it (by good, I do not mean I-was't-interested-in-any-of-the-offered-courses; I mean, I/my-SO-had-a-baby-in-October, or somesuch)

3. Check the Results Search link. It's a guess. Some schools have sent out acceptances (!), some haven't extended interview invites yet.

[basically, I'm just seconding Lisa's post. But, to add some weight...]

As far as chances go, most [PhD program] adcoms care about (in this order): Research Experience/Fit -> Letters of Rec -> SoP -> Grades/Scores (unless scores are abysmal, in which case, the applicant usually gets cut before the adcoms get to look at the other things)... Applying right out of undergrad won't much matter.

Unless you've provided the schools your schedule for this semester, underloading will be irrelevant. If it were to come up, say by being asked about your current classes during an interview, your reasoning of wanting more time for your honors research would be very good. But of course, be prepared to talk about that honors work.

And again, as Lisa said, use the Results Search and check to see if people are hearing back from the schools/programs you've applied to yet. Many have already sent interview notificants, others have sent acceptance and rejections, etc. So, check. Also, previous years have shown that the real flood starts in February. (I've applied to some Cog Sci programs myself and can say that, with a couple exceptions, only a few sparse outliers - usually international applicants - have received word thus far.)