Career change a hindrance??

Carlynn

Hi there!

I'm very interested in seeking an MFA under an assistantship and have been teaching high school art for two years now. I won't be seeking admittance until Fall 2014, though it appears the application process may take a few years.

Recently a job position has opened in a higher paying district (barely making ends meet right now), however, it's for an elementary position. The new district would put me in a more active art scene and allow me to save for grad school, though my work experience there would be less relevant to my goals.

Would the change be seen as a negative or should I keep the hs position??

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

I don't think it would be much of a hinderance at all, especially if you were exhibiting and making art in a fashion where down the line you can say "Even though I was working this non-art job, look at all the art I made.  Look at my dedication."

Lots of artists who apply for graduate school aren't doing the art thing for their day jobs.

Hi there!

I'm very interested in seeking an MFA under an assistantship and have been teaching high school art for two years now. I won't be seeking admittance until Fall 2014, though it appears the application process may take a few years.

Recently a job position has opened in a higher paying district (barely making ends meet right now), however, it's for an elementary position. The new district would put me in a more active art scene and allow me to save for grad school, though my work experience there would be less relevant to my goals.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Actually, elementary school art is MUCH more inspiring than High School art.  (I often use drawings that my kids made as parts of my art--they were at their best between the ages of 4-7 but now that they are getting older, they "try" harder and I can't use what they make!).  

Picasso said: "My childhood was spent learning to paint like an adult, and then the rest of my life was spent learning to paint like a child."

Part of me wonders why you are even seeking an MFA (you didn't really say what your goals are except that you want an MFA).  If I had a job as an art teacher that paid well, I would be pretty happy about that.  I tried but couldn't stomach the "ed." classes.    If your goal is to teach college aged students, I don't think you should worry about what age group you are teaching.  The fact that you have so much teaching experience already will put you ahead of most people anyway.  I'd go for the money!  And if you get any really good drawings from Kindergarten or first grade, ask them if I can have them!  I need a new supply.

Just from a Resume/CV perspective, I'd venture to guess:

TWO jobs w/Teaching experience > ONE job w/Teaching experience.

But I'm nowhere near qualified to say for sure!  At the very least, you would have that many more potential sources for letters of recommendation.  You could even let it grow you as an artist, if you are so inclined...and weave whatever you learn from teaching elementary school into your own work.  And I agree, what better inspiration than the artwork of children!

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." -Picasso

Hi. Are you in the middle of re-thinking your career goals? An MFA may or may not increase your teaching salary like an MAEd would, so I assume you are getting an MFA for an art career (while teaching)? 

I taught HS art for 5 years (with MAEd) as a way to support family and my art career, and it was good enough while it lasted. I'll say that schools tend to keep MFA and MAEd programs apart; they prefer students track their careers in either direction but not both. 

Anyway, to answer your question directly, your teaching experience may give you an edge when applying for assistantships, but probably won't be anywhere near a factor in an MFA program as it would in an Ed program (and even then, the switch from HS to elementary only shows versatility).

Good luck!

Wow, I love this forum! You all provide so much great insight! 

As far as goals are concerned, I really want to be a bad@ss artist, have the ability to teach college level classes and move over on the salary schedule in the public ed. dept.  It's a great point that was brought up in that an MFA may not move one over on the salary schedule like an MAEd.  As of now, my salary is just enough to pay my bills and promise groceries for the month, in the elementary position, I'd be starting off making....so much more.

I just wasn't sure what a 2 year stint would look like on the CV. I will say the school I'm currently teaching at has a great art dept, but mama does need to pay her bills. :)

Thanks so much for the feedback. You've all been a wonderful help.