Stanford Aero/Astro

DocLex

My application has just changed from INCOMPLETE to COMPLETE, seems like they are already doing something, which is good!

That's a good sign. It seems that they really have difficulties in matching GRE scores. I sent it twice but they still haven't got it.

There's no reporting on PhD decisions anyways, so maybe you just need wait longer. The graduate coordinator told me they will make admission OFFER after the visit day as well. So I assume it's PhD decisions? MS admission doesn't count as OFFER. Good luck!

BTW, anyone attend the visit day? Any info from visit day?

• 2 weeks later...

So I was accepted for MS and went to visit day.  I'm pretty sure they sent out all acceptances in jan. from what they said.  They told us the total number admitted and the total number they expect of those admitted to attend in the fall (on average about 50 for MS).  Sounded pretty final.  Sorry guys :(

aet, I was accepted way back in early Jan but obviously couldn't make it to visit day being international. How did you find the visit day? What were the facilities like? 

The visit day was great.  All the grad students seem very happy to be there and all really enjoy what they're doing for the most part.  Their department is mostly computational.  The one largely experimental group (propulsion) has some good, but cramped facilities. BUT they also utilize NASA Ames's facilities as well.  Pretty good deal there.

Hi balnista_grd, I haven't gotten anything from Stanford yet. My application is still incomplete. I don't know what's wrong with my GRE score. They just can't match it. But Patrick said it's not a big problem and I can still get my admission decision without an official GRE score.

So the Stanford funding...

I don't completely understand.

Graduate engineering, 14,650 per quarter. MS is ... four quarters? I really don't understand the US system at all.

SO let's say 4 quarters later, that's basically 60k USD. Do most students have this money available, but then luckily don't have to spend it all?

I am not sure I could afford to go there for the first quarter, and risk not being able to continue if I did not find funding afterwards!

Unless I'm missing something, but this seems completely crazy!

I believe most students are able to secure something by the 2nd or 3rd quarter. Very few have to pay their way all the way through. Also helps if you want to do further study beyond the M.S. 

I believe most students are able to secure something by the 2nd or 3rd quarter. Very few have to pay their way all the way through. Also helps if you want to do further study beyond the M.S. 

Are you sure? My boyfriend is going to graduate from Stanford Aero MS program next month. He paid all the tuition without any funding. I'm not sure whether it's because he's international or not. But basically it's the same for most of other people in the program from his words.

@jam_sister, if you hadn't received funding interview, then you are most probably not in the funding list. You have to contact professors in Stanford to see whether you can get a RA position. But my boyfriend said most professor will ask you to do it for volunteer/credits...still not sure whether it's because he's not American. Hope it helps. :)

here come the rejections... saw it coming for months, but the official letter still stings a little bit. looks like it'll be michigan for me most likely... unless ga tech responds.

The admission manager today said my application still under review. I guess I am the only one who haven't gotten a decision yet :/

Its like I am talking to myself in this topic, hahaha :D

Edited by balnitsa_grd

• 10 months later...

Stanford's MS programs isn't regarded highly by those in academia (different story for industry) because they do not give funding to most of their admitted MS applicants and it's not very selective because of that.

It's meant to be a program that brings in money and not meant to produce exceptional grad students.The program recognizes people would pay for the Stanford name. 

Edited by clandry

Anyone here applying for a Stanford Aero/Astro PhD? I've already earned a MS and am applying to start Fall 2014.

I have not heard any updates from Stanford since December and was wondering if anyone else has any insight?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...