Dress Code for "Mandatory Social Event" during Interview weekend

VBD

Yesterday, I got the schedule of an interview weekend. One item, a mandatory social event at 4:30PM stands out. I'm not really sure what the appropriate dress would be for something like that. Past interviews (at other schools and other programs) have had a optional social event which involved going to a downtown restaurant or bar, so it was easy to gauge what sort of dress code would be for that. I plan to dress business casual (business suit and dress pants) during the actual interviews and am hoping to have enough time to run back and change, perhaps into a nice blouse and dark jeans? Do you think that's too casual?

To our "social" event I wore a nice "dressy" pair of jeans and a bias cut knit top with long sleeves and oxfords. It was held at one of the faculty member's homes but it was catered (though not a sit down dinner party). 

I don't think it would hurt for you to ask about what dress is appropriate for the event.