Motivational tips for thesis writing

apotheosis

After spending so much time on graduate school applications in the fall now I feel so burnt out. I've written very little so far, and everything is so slow going. I just can't seem to get myself to put words down onto the page, even though I have a lot of notes and quotes amassed already. Maybe it's the stress of waiting--I don't know... :(

For those who have a BA or MA thesis behind you, what kinds of things did you do to get yourself to continue at the hardest parts?

Edited by apotheosis

I feel you, apotheosis! My biggest problem was staring at my data for literally hours, then typing a sentence, sighing, and giving up for the night. Most of my tips are probs a little obvious, but...

To minimize distractions, I am madly in love with SelfControl (http://selfcontrolapp.com/).

To get my blood flowing to the brain, good music without lyrics (I vote Tchaikovsky's violin concerto in D minor).

To make myself actually produce words, I was a big fan of working with someone else. By that, I mean sitting with one of my insanely patient, awesome friends and working with them literally beside me. They helped me by making me feel like I had to be productive because I was in front of someone (the pressure!), doled out hugs and encouragement when needed, and nagged me when I got distracted/didn't write for a little while/tried to slack off. Also, I found it useful to have someone to talk through my thoughts with when I hit a wall and didn't even know how to make heads or tails of where to go next (although given that my go-to work enforcer is an engineering student, by that I mean talking at him while he looked vaguely bemused at how animatedly I was ranting about conservation legislation). But then again, I'm a very verbal learner, so talking through my data was immensely useful in terms of organizing my thoughts and helping me move forward on the actual thesis. 

• 3 weeks later...

The best advice I've gotten is to just write. Don't try to craft perfect sentences, don't wait until a 75 page thesis comes full formed out of your fingers. Just write.

And make sure you're exercising and eating well. Those are both really important!

Writing, that is editing, my thesis and working closely with my advisor was invaluable in preparing me for the next level. Work hard on it and you'll have a leg up; not only in experiencing the pains of pushing through a massive project, but this is an opportunity to really bolster your writing abilities.

I'm currently trying to get my thesis finished - and if I spent half the time writing it that I did on these boards I'd be done!  B)

Thanks Allouette for the Self Control App tip - It might just end up being my saving grace!

In the same boat here. My MSc thesis will have 2 manuscripts and a lit review. My 1st MS is submitted, my 2nd MS is about 65% done. The lit review is maybe 5% done and slow going. The trick really is to not get hung up on editing. If you get stuck on a section, start a new one. You don't have to write linearly. I always find that the biggest barrier is starting a section but once I have completed a first page (double spaced with 12 pt font), I start making progress. Keep at it everyday and accept that some days you just won't be able to write. In those cases, do something else but don't stray too far from your computer. Also keep a notebook beside you and write any brilliant phrasings that come to you - if I don't write them down, I usually forget them quickly. Finally, don't get sentimental over your prose. A brilliant paragraph at one time may no longer fit in a completed section. Don't try to force the text to fit, put it in a new section!

I feel you, apotheosis! My biggest problem was staring at my data for literally hours, then typing a sentence, sighing, and giving up for the night. Most of my tips are probs a little obvious, but...

To minimize distractions, I am madly in love with SelfControl (http://selfcontrolapp.com/).

To get my blood flowing to the brain, good music without lyrics (I vote Tchaikovsky's violin concerto in D minor).

To make myself actually produce words, I was a big fan of working with someone else. By that, I mean sitting with one of my insanely patient, awesome friends and working with them literally beside me. They helped me by making me feel like I had to be productive because I was in front of someone (the pressure!), doled out hugs and encouragement when needed, and nagged me when I got distracted/didn't write for a little while/tried to slack off. Also, I found it useful to have someone to talk through my thoughts with when I hit a wall and didn't even know how to make heads or tails of where to go next (although given that my go-to work enforcer is an engineering student, by that I mean talking at him while he looked vaguely bemused at how animatedly I was ranting about conservation legislation). But then again, I'm a very verbal learner, so talking through my data was immensely useful in terms of organizing my thoughts and helping me move forward on the actual thesis. 

Holy Crap! I just started using this SelfControl App and its friggin awesome!

Here are my tips - I have learned some from working as an RA - seeing how my professors write too.... pretty interesting.

Gather all the quotes/notes you have made - organize them into headings, then put them together.... once that is done, second round.... add in your words, edit the quotes - of course, cite, cite, cite! No plagiarizing! That's just the tip of it... then once you are on a roll and right into action, keep writing. Write, write, write. I wrote my entire thesis in about 7 months - my first full draft, that is - it's 133 pages long. Of course, that isn't including the time it takes for interviews/transcribing.... It all seems like a blur to me. I wrote in the wee hours of the morning when I literally was too tired to notice how much I had gotten done, lol. I seem to do that a lot - write in the early hours. 

I almost always have headphones on while writing too. I block out the music, but as long as they are on, it helps me relax.  

Another tip, which has already been mentioned, is to talk out your issue - i.e. I would just describe what I was trying to write to one of my friends, but while i was talking to her about it, I would type too. It made it a lot easier.

Talk to family too - my Mom and spouse, whether they liked it or not, probably know my topic as well as I do, lol. 

My thesis has been approved by my supervisor and has been with my committee member for over 3wks now. I anticipate I will get it back this week with comments/changes. Once I edit it, it will be onto its 3rd examiner, and then the 4th... then graduation! I can't wait to graduate June 1 with a M.Ed.! 

Good luck to everyone writing a thesis.