Interviews - PhD in French

Nicko

Hi all!

I thought I would start a thread about PhD interviews in French (or languages in general), since I didn't see anything about it in this forum.

Do you know what a grad school interview for a PhD in French is like? I saw somewhere in this forum that it was more of a casual thing, and you have nothing to worry about: if you have an interview, then it's basically like a definite acceptance... Is that true? 

I have an interview at Northwestern University! I'm still waiting for an answer from the other unis I applied to...

It would be nice to have some advice from those who went through it!

It depends on schools/programs, but an interview invitation generally isn't a definite "in!"

I also have an interview in a few days and that's why I'm so nervous since I'm treating it as a Round 2, only with a slightly better chance than the Round 1.

You shouldn't be worrying too much though, that's what my profs said, but I'm just saying... Good Luck!

I recently had a foreign language interview and am preparing for others. Part was in the target language, part English. I got questions like:

Why this field?

Explain your experiences abroad.

How did your interest in 'theoretical framework X' develop?

You have a heavy interest in 'theoretical framework X,' which we don't emphasize. Why have you chosen this program?

Beyond the basic CV/SOP stuff your guess is as good as mine. But think also about traditional interview questions as possibilities. What are your strengths? Weaknesses? What are your hobbies? Describe an obstacle that you've overcome. Etc.

I didn't get any odd questions, but I've heard of such things.

Being interviewed doesn't guarantee a spot. For some programs it's almost a sure sign; for others it's part of a highly competitive process.

Basically, know your CV. Know your SOP. Know the program. Be able to discuss these matters in the target language.

Best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

It was pretty easy actually! Thanks for your advice!

Very informal and relaxed, but I still had to prepare a 15 min presentation of my interests. I think it went well but we'll see.

Now, I'm just waiting for other replies from other unis. I saw that NYU, Columbia and Brown already sent an email to their candidates to invite them for an interview day, but I didn't receive anything, does it mean I'm rejected? Do you think that not having heard from anyone yet is bad news or good news overall?

Is it rude to email them and ask for some information?